format one HD

drayton 08:51 19 Nov 2004

have lost drive for cd rom, the last time this happened the only way back was to wipe the whole pc and start again. Now I have got two hardrives, it must be possible to format one and save stuff on other. I need to format the main disc with xp pro o/s on it, is it possible? (and simple)
thanks

howard60 09:05 19 Nov 2004

have you tried going to system - hardware - device manager and deleting the cd drive. Then reboot and with luck the cd will be found and installed.

drayton 09:12 19 Nov 2004

yes tried that, but still no joy

howard60 09:46 19 Nov 2004

you could go 1 further stage. delete cd from system - switch off - remove connecting cable from cd drive. Switch on obviously the cd will not show but go into bios and let it automatically search for drives etc. save and let it load. Switch off - connect all cables and reboot to bios - repeat as before - go into windows and maybe just maybe.

Bagnet 09:59 19 Nov 2004

u just format c:

dont touch ur d drive. it would take an extra step to format them both!

just copy paste all ur stuff over and thats it

ACOLYTE 10:13 19 Nov 2004

Depends whats on the other drive if its programs then you may have trouble getting them to work when you reinstall xp,cos some programs add stuff to the registry and also put files on the OS drive even tho you installed it to another drive,you can just format the OS drive and leave the other intact,if you wont to save stuff from the OS drive you may need to have the programs .exe file to do it as the settings and options may well have changed on reinstall.Things like driver updates you could save without much problem as these run on here own setup app.You will have to do it from the xp CD if you need to format the OS drive wont let you do it otherwise,you need to go through as if you are installing the OS and delete the partition that xp is currently on then start again.I would make sure the cd player hasnt broke first tho, try another if you can and if that shows up maybe other has blown a fuse.

drayton 10:37 21 Nov 2004

tried anoter cd drive still got yellow exclamation with 'windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver maybe corrupted or missing (code 39)'also got this with one of my audio although I dont think this is connected and adsl wont connect either

bluesbrother 11:27 21 Nov 2004

In Win 98, click Start/Run/ then type, sfc . Don't know how to get the XP version or even if there is a System File Check in XP, but if there is it will find any corrupt drivers for you.

There is also a possibility you have a dodgy motherboard.

menorcarob2 11:45 21 Nov 2004

try to boot from your xp cd and then select repair when you get to the commaand prompt tell it to format the drive that you want formated and it will do it for you.

menorcarob2 11:45 21 Nov 2004

try to boot from your xp cd and then select repair when you get to the commaand prompt tell it to format the drive that you want formated and it will do it for you.

bluesbrother 11:47 21 Nov 2004

You are wasting peoples time keeping this open

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?