format laptop

moorephil 11:55 01 Feb 2007

Hi,I need some help formatting my laptop.
I tried booting from my xp disc,but it did not seem to give me the option of formatting before reinstalling.I now have approx 9gb on a 30gb hard drive.
I've tried formatting first by going into my computer and right clicking drive c, click format.That does'nt work either.
All I want to do is start again.
Any help please.

PS I wont be able to respond till later this evening as I'm going to work.

Charlie Babbage 12:06 01 Feb 2007

... if so this should do an automatic format. I'm not an expert on this and no doubt someone else can give you more detailed info.

However, I did a reinstall recently without a problem. So far as I can remember, it first asks whether you want to format the disc as FAT 32 or NTFS. If you're installing XP, NTFS is the one to choose. Once you've done that it starts copying files to a temporary storage area.

One thing I didn't realsie is that at the end of the copying process, it restarts the computer. When that happens, do NOT choose install from CD-ROM - it just goes through the copying process again! If you ignore any message about booting from CD-ROM after the computer restarts it then goes on to the installation of Win XP which takes about 45 minutes!

moorephil 22:43 01 Feb 2007

Thanks charlie,I didn't know that about the cd rom,I'll ive it a go.
Any more ideas from anyone else?

Strawballs 22:50 01 Feb 2007

If it is a full copy of XP not a restore disc go down the root of reinstall and during the proccess it will read your disc tell you that there is a copy of XP already on it and advise you to formatt click NTFS quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?