Format HDD with XP pro installed

MIKMAL 14:24 13 Jan 2006

Is there a way of formatting a hard disk drive with XP Pro installed on it if the installation disc is unavailable?

recap 14:26 13 Jan 2006

Without the disc then I do not think you can. You could do a restore from a restore point.

pj123 14:29 13 Jan 2006

Not sure what you mean. You can format any hard disk with any O/S on it. But the problem is once formatted it deletes everything on it so if you don't have an installation disk you can't use it?

Why do you feel it necessary to format the disk?

VoG II 14:34 13 Jan 2006

Boot with XP floppy startup disks click here run Recovery Console and Format click here

But then how will you reload XP?

MIKMAL 14:52 13 Jan 2006

I have obtained a second hand computer which has XP pro on it.As I haven't got an XP disk I would like to install windows ME for which I do have a disk.As I understand it, You cannot install ME over XP (FAT32 over NTFS) without formatting first/

PaulB2005 15:04 13 Jan 2006

You ned to boot into DOS with a DOS boot disk first. Then delete the partition with FDISK and then reformat using FAT32. Then you can install Me.

pj123 15:06 13 Jan 2006

Well in that case go to click here and download a boot disk, I would suggest Win98SE even though you are going to install ME.

Once you have the boot disk on floppy make sure your BIOS is set to start from floppy first. Put the floppy in and start. Once you get to the A: prompt type in fdisk and press enter.

You will then need to delete all partitions (including non DOS) and then restart. Type fdisk again at the A: prompt. You now need to set up a partition and make it active.

Once done you will need to restart again and when you get to the A: prompt type format c: and press enter.

When that has finished another restart is required still with the floppy disk in. This time make a note of the CD drive letter. Now when you get to the A: prompt put your Win Me CD in and type d: (or whatever the boot disk said was the CD. sometimes it can be R.) and press enter. When you have the CD prompt (d:, e:, r: etc) type setup and press enter.

MIKMAL 19:39 13 Jan 2006

Have downloaded a set of XP boot discs from microsoft.Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017