Format HD / FDisk

Redlegends 11:46 29 Sep 2006

Not done this for ages but i wanted to completely wipe my hard drive and start from fresh.

Now here is my problem:

When i type 'Format C:' it asks me to verify that my data will be lost, which i do.

It then informs me that i need to 'dismount the volume' and asks me to do this, which i confirm.

It then informs me that it 'cannot lock the drive, volume is still in use'

Also does anyone know about FDisk, i thought you used to be able to use this and then format the disk ready for windows.

BTW i am trying to put a copy of Windows XP Home back on my system

Grantrh 11:50 29 Sep 2006

My advice is don't bother with FDisk.
If you go to your HDD's manufacturers website (from another PC obviously) they usually provide free software to do this sort of thing that you can put on a floppy or CD-ROM.
Maxtor and Seagate certainly do this.

Fingees 11:51 29 Sep 2006

Boot from the windows cd.

Format from that.

Redlegends 11:53 29 Sep 2006

don't know the HD manufacturer.

As for booting from windows cd, won't this just reinstall the system over the other one with all the old problems or will it also format it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:53 29 Sep 2006

Are you trying to format from within XP?

You need to set the BIOS to boot from CD as first boot device.

Then boot with the XP CD in the dive and follow the on screen pompts to format the partion and reinstall XP.

Clean install windows XP
click here
click here
click here
click here

rodriguez 11:54 29 Sep 2006

FDisk should be on either a bootable floppy or a bootable CD that came with your PC. If you haven't got it, I'll make a boot floppy with it on and post it here. When you start FDisk, you just delete all the partitions then create a single primary partition. Restart the computer and run FORMAT C: and it should format it ready for a Windows installation.

Redlegends 11:56 29 Sep 2006

I was actually trying to use format and fdisk within ms-dos

rodriguez 12:07 29 Sep 2006

click here for a boot disk with FDisk on it. Extract the exe file and run it then put in a blank floppy, tick the Writing on Floppy box and press OK. When it's written the floppy you can boot from it and it'll go straight into the FDisk program without you having to type anything.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?