Format H/D

Youngjohn 14:54 13 Mar 2008

I want to 'clean-down' my HDD and make a fresh start.
Under Win 98 & Me I could have run the format command from the Start-up disk. How do I format my HDD under XP Pro?

FreeCell 15:00 13 Mar 2008

Are you sure you want to format this disk?

This will wipe out your operating system and you will have to reinstall OS and everything else.

In XP click on "My Computer". Right click on the hard disk and select "Format"

paul€ 15:10 13 Mar 2008

If the hard disk you wish to format contains your operating system then Freecell's conclusion will not work.

You must set the bios to boot from cd and format with the XP disk. Otherwise use a third part formatting tool, like kill disk and boot from a a:\ prompt.

uesquebeathus 16:27 13 Mar 2008

before you do anything have you got ALL the required operating system and software disks to put the system back. collect them all up and make sure you have all the registration codes and numbers to allow you to reinstall them.

download " SwissKnife V3 "from here

click here

it will format your drive in almost all types of Fat, and in almost all types of hardware hard drives, flash drives etc

Arc hie 16:30 13 Mar 2008

put your XP cd in the CD drive, and reboot the pc, it should boot from the disc, if it doesnt tap delete on start up and change the boot option to cd/dvd.
You cannot format your C:/ drive by right clicking it as windows is installed on it.

ventanas 17:02 13 Mar 2008

To format and reinstall XP click here
This assumes you have a installation CD with a full version of XP and not a "Recovery Disc" which will be a different procedure.

ventanas 17:05 13 Mar 2008

Also ensure that you have all the necessary drivers, at least for your motherboard (chipset) Video and sound. Only you will know what else you need. You may of course already have these on a disc supplied with the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone