format hd

zebbydog 15:33 12 Mar 2004

I have just got a 80 gb external western digital hd and it comes formatted in fat 32 i run win xp on ntfs.
If i try to formatt it it says it cannot do it, is it ok to use to back up my C drive as it is and if so how do i formatt it later on in time.

Thank you Zebby

mifsud 15:39 12 Mar 2004

You will be able to use the drive with no problem.

To format before or later from fat32--NTFS
I would use Powerquest Partition magic8

okijuh 15:46 12 Mar 2004

is it a slave drive? If so then right click on my computer then manage then disk management, you can force a format from there. if it is master then boot up your windows CD as though you are setting up windows then delete any partitions when you get to that option then restart and it wil format and reinstall windows. If CD doesn't run at boot up then change boot sequence in bios. Job done.

AndySD 15:47 12 Mar 2004

Yes

If the disk is installed on the PC then
to Partition and format it try Right Clicking on My Computer then choose Manage then Disk Management. Right click on the disk the options should be there.

AndySD 15:48 12 Mar 2004

D'oh too slow again.

zebbydog 17:38 12 Mar 2004

Tried as you said it starts then says it cannot continue

temp003 08:05 13 Mar 2004

Using Disk Management is the right thing to do.

Fact that it's external should not make a difference.

Check whether you have any hard disk utility running which protects against accidental loss of data or that sort of thing.

Norton Protect (or Norton Unerase) is a common cause.

Find the disk utility and turn it off in respect of the external hard disk. Try formatting with NTFS again.

zebbydog 13:23 13 Mar 2004

Done it in disk managment deleted old and reformatted to ntfs thanks for help

Zebbydog

2020 17:24 13 Mar 2004

useful post

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?