Format hard drive or cleanup?

thewasp 13:40 02 Feb 2006

I am getting increasingly frustrated with error messages and crashing on my Athlon 2600+ running windows xp home, 120gb hd. No viruses have been found, and no recent drivers or software has been installed. i thought it might be Mcafee, but it still occurs when uninstalled. Would I be better starting from scratch by formatting the hd, or is there a good cleanup program to help detect the files that could be causing these crashes. Usually it is an unknown device driver that causes a crash, but they are all up to date and have never caused problems in the past. Any advice appreciated.

De Marcus™ 14:09 02 Feb 2006

Download ccleaner from click here and run it.

Have you checked the device manager (including the view > show hidden devices)?

Press Man 15:41 02 Feb 2006

You can check the Event viewer, a service on windows that logs every application, system errors etc. To reach this, go to your control panel> administrative tools > and open event viewer look under the "System" and it should show "errors" that may explain your problems with error messages and crashing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:43 02 Feb 2006

If ccleaner does not help and rather than mess about I would save all your important bits and reformat, it will be a quicker option. If you still get the same problems at least you can discount a knackered OS.

G

thewasp 16:16 02 Feb 2006

Have done a driver view, two drivers are listed as unknown - "dump_wmilib.sys" and "dump_atapi.sys", but I cannot delete them as the computer does not recognize them as being there. Could they be a problem?

rawprawn 16:27 02 Feb 2006

Dump_atapi.sys is a part of Microsoft Windows Operation system.
Dump_atapi.sys is the IDE port driver

Do a system file check Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (watch the space between sfc and /) you will need your XP Home CD.

thewasp 17:29 02 Feb 2006

When I type sfc /scannow, a box flashes up and disappears so fast I can't read it!!

Gongoozler 17:34 02 Feb 2006

Instability and crashes are often caused by badly written adware. Run AdAware to see if it can find anything click here

thewasp 17:38 02 Feb 2006

Forget that, got the scannow working

thewasp 19:02 02 Feb 2006

Found some Navexcel dataminers on regkeys, are these a threat, is it safe to remove them?

FUBAR HoII 19:14 02 Feb 2006

Hi if you are still having problems try a windows repair first as you wont lose any data.

Put your XP disc in drive at startup select R to start repair

select 1 c:
type chkdsk \r
hit enter & wait till its done reboot PC and see if that helps

HoII

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?