Format Hard drive?

Throbber 01:03 03 Feb 2008

How do you format a hard drive? I keep getting error messages saying windows cannot format this drive, or, if I try to delete folders, *** is a windows system folder ...... it cannot be deleted.
Any ideas?

ambra4 02:29 03 Feb 2008

Not to sure what you want to do

Do you want to just format a second hard drive on the pc or reinstall windows

If you want to do a clean install of wirdows

click here

If you just want to format a hard drive without installing windows just right click on the drive and click format

UncleP 02:47 03 Feb 2008

Sounds like you're trying to format your system drive ie the one with the operating system (Windows) on it. That's a bit like sawing off the branch you're sitting on, and the OS won't let you do it - not at least without making sure you aren't doing it by accident. The OS runs the computer; if you remove it without a Windows (or whatever) installation disk you would have one dead computer.

My apologies if I've misunderstood what you are trying to do.

crosstrainer 08:30 03 Feb 2008

If you intend to format your active system partition, you need to boot from your Windows cd / dvd.

To do this you need to change the boot sequence in your BIOS....Proceed with caution, and if you do not have a Windows installtion disc, then do not perform this operation, as it will render your machine useless :)

Throbber 09:40 03 Feb 2008

Thanks to all. It was a reinstall of Windows I wanted - now answered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires