Format Hard Drive

anniesboy68 19:52 19 Nov 2006

Is there a way I can format my 6gig hard drive without having to instal an operating system please?. This is in order to sell. My Computer/Manage disks will not help as the format facility is greyed out

ed-0 20:02 19 Nov 2006

The hard drive you wish to format must be the only drive in a computer with windows loaded on it.

If you have a floppy drive and are running win 95/98/98se. Then download a dos boot disk from click here. Pick the 98se one. Download it to the desktop and place a blank floppy disk into the drive. Click on the download and it will write to the floppy disk.

restart the computer with the floppy left in the drive. It should start to load.

pick the option to start with cdrom support.

It should load to a:\ prompt

type format c: after this, check the spaces, so it looks like this

a:\ format c:

and press enter

it will ask for a label ( name ) if it has none just press enter. If the drive has a name e.g. anniesboy68 hard drive, type that name for the label.

it should ask if you are sure

press y for yes and it will format the hard drive.

anniesboy68 20:20 19 Nov 2006

Thanks. Have done that. I have Win2000 pro loaded and it goes through the proceedure until it gets to format press y/n and so after pressing y and enter it goes back to A prompt. I have a 2000 start up disk but that comes up on the screen "Remove disks or other media press any key to restart". With no success!..There must be a way!!!!

ed-0 21:21 19 Nov 2006

I had assumed it was a 9X operating system with just a smallish hard drive.

Then use kill disk free click here. Download to desktop and insert floppy. Click on killdisk and it will write to floppy.

restart the computer with the floppy in drive, select the right drive C( the A floppy disk drive is the default drive ) and proceed to format.

Devil Fish 21:56 19 Nov 2006

format ntfs using a dos boot disk you need to do the following

if you have a floppy drive get boot disk from here click here win 98se will do

boot using the floppy at a a:/ prompt type fdisk
i cant remember the number sequence off the top of my head but what you need to do is delete the partition

so select the number for delete partition
then from the next menu none dos partition
doing this will wipe the disk (make it raw)
you will need to exit and reboot

on reboot go back to fdisk create a partition then primary and set as active then reboot

at a:/ prompt if you wish to format the disk before it goes to new home this can be done by typing format C:/ (note space betwen format and C:/

this will prepare the disk for the installation of a new O/S

Strawballs 00:20 20 Nov 2006
  anniesboy68 17:08 20 Nov 2006

Thanks all who have responded on this. I did use the "killdisk" and ultimately formatted the drive. However anybody interested may wish to note that the command at the A:/promp i.e format c:/ would not go at all, but I managed it with format c: only. No indication was given whether it was formatted with FAT32 or NTFS, so I am assuming it is FAT32

Technotiger 18:06 20 Nov 2006

Hi - FAT or NTFS - in My Computer right-click on drive icon and then on Properties, you will then see whether it is FAT or NTFS.

Cheers

ed-0 20:12 20 Nov 2006

The C:/ would be for a switch command behind it. As in click here

The plain format c: is fine.

Glad you have it sorted.

caris 04:52 21 Nov 2006

Thanks for that advice.

Will this insure that the hard drive will be completely clean? No personal info left on it to be found either?

Regards ~ c

anniesboy68 17:04 21 Nov 2006

Technotiger....No operating system loaded so would be unable to access My Computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?