Format Hard drive

Jr.Rey 09:16 26 May 2004

Hi, i formatted my hard drive but when i insert my cd to start formating the message appear, NTLDR setuppdd.cannot cont. error code 4.
Rey

Brian-336451 09:21 26 May 2004

It would help if we know what os we are dealing with as there can be significant differences between say XP and Win98,

Lozzy 09:22 26 May 2004

Suggestion reformat again..

Code 4

This device is not working properly because one of its drivers may be bad, or your registry may be bad. (Code 4)

To Update the drivers for this device, click Update Driver. If that doesn't work, run Scanregw.exe (click Start, click Run, type Scanregw.exe, and then click OK) to check your registry.
Solution button: Update Driver

This code indicates that the .inf file for this device may be incorrect or the registry may be damaged. This error code is displayed if the .inf file specifies a field that should be text, but is binary instead.

In addition to following the recommended suggestions, use Device Manager to remove the device and then run the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel. If you continue to receive this error code, please contact the hardware's manufacturer for an updated .inf file.

keith-236785 09:39 26 May 2004

format again using a windows98 start-up disk, if you have a win98 startup disk (If not you can click here and download a windows98 startup disk), put the disk in floppy drive and restart your computer

when it finishes booting , you will get a menu, choose start without cdrom support, (if you do not get a menu, you may have to set the boot order in your bios to boot floppy A: first).

let it install the virtual drive, it will tell you what it is..... at the dos prompt type x: (where x is the virtual drive letter) this will change the prompt to x:> (again where x is the virtual drive letter)type

format c:

press enter

Smegs 11:05 26 May 2004
  keith-236785 12:37 26 May 2004

Smegs, thanks i had copied and pasted from a previous post and it seems to have lost the link.

fitcher 23:05 26 May 2004

if you have a windows 98 se,, you can go into the bios and set the first boot seek as cd,, second as hd,, third as floppy .restart computer/and with the cd in,and it will come up with the prompts to format the drive for you ../ do it with the floppy if you like .fdisk and format at/ A/ prompt, // but you should not need to

woodchip 23:10 26 May 2004

Have you used the Windows disc it sounds like a NTL disc

Tim1964 00:55 27 May 2004

Just Googled the NTLDR setup bit and the hits all mention win2000.

Jr.Rey 00:23 29 May 2004

Thanks for all the response and i try every thing suggested, i download bootdisc from MS.com and i start my pc the bios setup screen comes up and i press any key according to the setup and the blue screen comes ready for setup and at the bottom of the screen says setup file is loading until it reach to to this point setup file is loading (Kernel Debugger DLL)...anyway my pc is WindowsXPHomeEdition,Version 2002 ServicePack1 1Gh cpu, 256Mb,20GhHD

Djohn 00:50 29 May 2004

This is all I can find on the error code you are giving. Does it relate in any way to the method you used to format the drive?

Normally to install XP [Home or Pro] you insert the CD in your drive after changing the CD drive to first boot drive in BIOS and it will format the drive and install from there. There is no need to remove any present operating system beforehand as XP will do this for you.

================================================

NTLDR Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.

Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter."

A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?