format failure

lisa_gedo 20:16 27 Jan 2011

My daughters laptop refused to load past the windows welcome screen. We decided on a complete format only to find that after everything was downloaded from the recivery disks the installation frozen half way through.

Running windows vista on Compaq Presario CQ60

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 27 Jan 2011

Retry your recovery disks if no good then you can buy from click here

rdave13 21:24 27 Jan 2011

Had a similar problem with a Toshiba Satellite, two years old. Started with niggly problems that developed to the DVD drive dissapearing and the video driver failing and then recovering. Decided to restore to factory setting and that would complete sometimes to 90% then stop. I removed the drive to check it with a hard drive manager and it was full of bad sectors. Replaced the hard drive and the recovery disks worked a treat. If it fails to restore again do you know of anyone that can check the drive before you spend on new recovery disks?

lisa_gedo 21:45 27 Jan 2011

thanks for the replies, just in the middle of re-trying the recovery. Had problems with the system from when i first purchased it and had to get hewlett packard to send out recovery disks because the partition was missing sections, wouldn't mind but i only bought it in Aug 2009!! i'll let you know how it goes

lisa_gedo 21:46 27 Jan 2011

thanks for the replies, just in the middle of re-trying the recovery. Had problems with the system from when i first purchased it and had to get hewlett packard to send out recovery disks because the partition was missing sections, wouldn't mind but i only bought it in Aug 2009!! i'll let you know how it goes

robin_x 22:03 27 Jan 2011

You can get a legal recovery repair torrent here.
click here

It's not Vista OS. Just generalised repair options.
===========
Yesterday I had a problem (a program messed up my boot). I have lots of recovery discs and backups and livecds. Including Compaq CQ61 discs from Nov 2009 when I bought it.
Nothing worked. Kept getting BSOD which I have never had with this laptop.

Turns out my fan had stuck coincidentally at same time.
I got it into Windows once and was showing 90+degC
via Speedfan app. Of course if you can't boot that's no help.

But just on offchance, check your fan is Always Enabled in BIOS and listen for it starting up, feel the draught with palm of hand.

Spent all afternoon stripping mine down and reassembling to get at the bloody thing. But I managed it. My problem solved at least.

robin_x 22:07 27 Jan 2011

For my CQ61, I have to hang it 3" off the left of my side table anyway for decent ventilation. Vacuum the grill if you haven't done it since purchase.

lisa_gedo 22:38 27 Jan 2011

looks like the 2nd recovery worked thankfully, thanks for your replies

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?