Format by dos prompt or rick click format?

JEFoord 20:00 14 Sep 2007

Hi

I am getting a freecom external hdd. i have read that you should re format from fat32 to ntfs.

A friend at work said i should do it by going to command prompt and typing "convert f/: ntfs" assuming f is the letter assigned to the new drive.

i have noticed if i right click on a drive in my computer the option to format is there.

Shich of the 2 options do you think i should use and why? which would be quicker or is there no difference?

many thanks

John

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 14 Sep 2007

Format if drive is empty.

Convert if you already have data on the drive.

JEFoord 20:22 14 Sep 2007

is it easier to do when empty or does it not make much difference? would a need to put anything in the box that says volume label?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:30 14 Sep 2007

Volume laabel is whatever you want to call the drive.

Formatting and converting are two different things.

Formatting will delete any and all data on the drive, Converting will keep the data.

JEFoord 20:37 14 Sep 2007

so as there will be nothing on the drive when i get it, i could format stright away.

is the volume label where it gets its drive letter from or is it like a file name e.g. i could call it freecom and it would still be assigned its own drive letter automatically?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 14 Sep 2007

i could call it freecom and it would still be assigned its own drive letter automatically?

YES always plug into same USB port and it should keep same drive letter.

so as there will be nothing on the drive when i get it, i could format straight away.
Yes

JEFoord 20:41 14 Sep 2007

one lats thing before i let you get on, to format a 500gb ext hdd am i looking at minutes hours or days to format?

Quiller. 21:11 14 Sep 2007

if you tick the box for quick format, it should take seconds. If you leave the box un-ticked it could take hours.

JEFoord 21:14 14 Sep 2007

what is the advantage of doing a long format. e.g. not ticking the quick format box?

Quiller. 21:24 14 Sep 2007

All you do with a long format is to scan the drive for errors and bad sectors. click here

if the drive is new then a quick one is fine. if you suspect some damage to the drive then do the long normal format.

JEFoord 21:26 14 Sep 2007

Excellent, thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone