Format C but no XP Disc.

Giantsquid 17:08 08 Oct 2004

Hello,
My mates computer has got problems, to cut a long story short it's time for a complete Format C.
This is not bad news as he has had loads of trouble with lots of his software, virus, Trojans etc etc, trouble is he has no XP disc as his copy is on the hard drive, anyone help here as to what he can do (I know the obvious one !) is it a case of buying XP?

Thanks to all that help,

Friday's Child 17:15 08 Oct 2004

I don't have an answer, but to help the experienced members who do, when you say that his copy is on the hard disc do you mean that it is on a hidden partition?

SANTOS7 17:19 08 Oct 2004

If you don't have a disc, you don't have anything to put on your formatted HDD so the simple answer is yes, you will need to buy a copy of the O/S you wish to install.........

mgmcc 17:30 08 Oct 2004

If his "system recovery" is on the hard drive, presumably it is in a separate partition and he has some means of accessing it. This may be by pressing a particular key when booting or there may be a floppy/CD to unlock access to the recovery partition.

This type of recovery doesn't actually "format and install Windows" as such, it restores an "image" of the hard drive as it was originally, with the operating system and any bundled software.

SANTOS7 17:36 08 Oct 2004

will that not depend on wether the orignal O/S was XP if it is not the image you get is not the one you want, hope this isn't a daft question.

Noelg23 17:40 08 Oct 2004

if it were me I would just buy another copy of XP...

Noelg23 17:40 08 Oct 2004

but my question would be where did he get the PC from?

JonnyTub 17:45 08 Oct 2004

As per mgmcc, what will help also is to know the manufacturer of the pc, as each manufacturer have different means of accessing their hidden partitions to restore the xp image.

SANTOS7 17:47 08 Oct 2004

it would make sence to have a bootable copy of your O/S for any future probs and of course the question of updates

Giantsquid 18:28 08 Oct 2004

As above is the manufacturer, they only gave him a system restore floppy, No XP disc, he may have to give them a ring with his serial number,

thanks for the help,

Noelg23 18:36 08 Oct 2004

he'll do more than give them a ring with the serial number...flamin PC World I aint surprised...why dont they ever give customers the recovery discs anymore? but then they obviously know what theyre doing so when a customer buggers their PC they take it back to PC world who charge a bomb to get it repaired...damn it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?