Format C drive

ruskle 10:18 12 Aug 2010

A freind has an oldish Advent laptop which has a corrupt file in Win XP and she has tried to reinstall everything. The disk is a full version regitered etc of XP and she want me to format the HD and start aqgain with the installation.
I need to get the pc to start in command prompt mode and then I think? I can format it from there.
How do i do this task and is it wise?

Thank you,

Ruskle

tullie 11:30 12 Aug 2010

Just set laptop to boot from the cd,insert cd then restart.Follow the prompt to boot from cd.

ruskle 12:07 12 Aug 2010

Thanks for the reply tullie.
I have now taken out the hard drive and put it in my USB caddy and formatted it from my own laptop.

I now have a clean hard drive in the friends laptop but I think there is a bios problem, so the message says in the blue screen when I start to install XP.

She is not too bothered about the laptop as she now has a new one but there were a lot of photos she had taken when relations from the states came over.
I took them off via my caddy and put them on a DVD for her so hopefully she will be happy.

Ruskle

Dragon_Heart 01:32 16 Aug 2010
  Terry Brown 21:17 18 Aug 2010

In the laptop with the problem.

If you want to format it in the machine, do the following.
Set the laptop to boot from CD.
Put XP CD in the drive and let it run, accept all the settings until you get to the Blue screen ( Terms and Conditions), press F8 to continue then ESC (advanced mode), select either repair or Format and follow on screen instructions.
After formatting XP will automaticly start installing.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?