Format any hard disk.

TonyAA 15:24 04 Feb 2006

Does any software exist that can be used to format a HDD containing any OS including hidden partitions so as your left with a nice clean hard disk without becoming involved with specific operating systems and hard disks to do this.

Monument 15:27 04 Feb 2006

You do not format hard disks you format logical partitions on that disk. If you want a 'nice clean disk then you must remove all the partitions first. Thern create one partition and format that.

Press Man 15:36 04 Feb 2006

Try click here may help.

TonyAA 15:50 04 Feb 2006

Will this remove the hidden partition on a Dell laptop with no disks supplied.

pj123 16:19 04 Feb 2006

Download a Win 98SE bootdisk from click here

Once you have it on a floppy disk, change your BIOS to start from floppy first.

Restart with the boot floppy in and when you get the A:\ prompt type in fdisk and press enter.

Delete all partitions, including Non DOS partitions and then re partition the disk to what you want. Once done restart with the boot disk and then format the disk.

Press Man 16:35 04 Feb 2006

If you use the Fdisk option I believe it will? If you want to keep the hidden partion just do a format on C:\.

howard63 19:09 04 Feb 2006

if you go the makers site you can download their disk management software which will set the drive back to how it was when it left the factory.

wobblymike 22:13 04 Feb 2006

You could use Maxblast 3 from Maxtor or Disc Wizard from Seagate both are free downloads and will do what you want - you need to check the manufacturer of your HDD first as e.g. maxblast will not format a seagate drive unless a maxtor drive is in circuit somewhere

TonyAA 00:12 05 Feb 2006

Reason I was asking was relation who lives 40miles away bought Dell laptop on Ebay,it has win98 installed and no restore disks supplied.He has laser printer that will only work on win98se and above and I happen to have a 98se cd that I don't use.Going to visit so wanted no problems with format and instal of 98se when I arrived.Long time since I used win98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?