format

wappa 16:26 20 Mar 2008

hi gang,,can u pls tell me the difference pls,when formatting you can do a quick one or a full format,?is there any difference,as when i did my last format,trojans kept appearing from previous installation
cheers

johndrew 16:35 20 Mar 2008

Perhaps you need to tell us what you are doing exactly.

A full format will overwrite everything but a quick format will only take the headers off.

It sounds as if you are doing a quick format and installing a backup onto the drive/partition. If this is the case then your backup is contaminated and needs cleaning.

benoli 16:36 20 Mar 2008

Hi
I have had the same problem & you need to go onto which ever website for your hard drive mfg, download repair tools that will zero fill all sectors this is the only way to totally remove the trojan.

woodchip 16:37 20 Mar 2008

Quick format just scrubs the Index to files, the files still remain. Full Format Scrubs the Partition of files. But to Clear all delete Partition then Create a New one

benoli 16:38 20 Mar 2008

HI

If your back up corrupt then you need to bite the bullet & start from scratch. clean your HD as I said then reload OP system & all other software.

DieSse 16:42 20 Mar 2008

A quick format resets the tables that indicate what space is used and what is free. Bsically all space is set to free.

A "normal" format writes the addressing information on every sector.

After any kind of formatting, the only type of malware that can reappear is any in the mbr (master boot record) blocks.

To make totally sure that this cannot happen under any circumstances, you should do a "zero fill". This rewrites the whole disk structure back to how it was when shipped

But trojans rarely can survive in the mdb. They normally come back from infected data or software that is reloaded - or because you're constantly open to the same kind of attack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?