format

loser7 23:06 18 Oct 2006

I offered to format a friends laptop for him. It seems fairly old it runs windows xp pro and the floppy drive does not work. I have a windows 98 and win millenium disk so im going to stick one of those on. I know formatting is only meant as a last option and he would be downgrading os but thats what im going to do, problem is i dont know how to delete winxp that is on it.... Any advise would be appreciated

terryf 23:14 18 Oct 2006

Why do you want to format the drive?

loser7 23:18 18 Oct 2006

there are programs on the it that i can not uninstall in add/remove programs, also he has just bought it second hand and he asked me to "wipe" everything off it.

anskyber 23:21 18 Oct 2006

Yes but if the OS is working OK it is a retrograde step. Assuming you have deleted all the files in places like my documents which programs will not respond to add/remove?

terryf 01:06 19 Oct 2006

You can sometimes get rid of rubbish by booting into safe mode and cleaning programs ther, log into safe mode as administrator.

terryf 01:08 19 Oct 2006

To wipe history, cookies, etc from internet explorer go to tools>internet options>general and clear there

cowboy62 01:40 19 Oct 2006

if u formatt have u got all the nessasary driver for if not i would not format but try some of the sugestion above first

terryf 11:16 19 Oct 2006

Why not try to fix floppy, they are not very expensive. Do a google for 'replacement nameofmaker laptop floppy drive' then do a google for 'how to replace laptop floppy drive'.I agree with above, you can clean without format

loser7 14:47 20 Oct 2006

thanks for advise people

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?