Forlorn Hope

chestnutcake 20:58 26 Dec 2010

I have been sat here feeling slightly dejected and then thought about this Forum and wondered dare I ask a question over the Festive Period - hmmm looking at the site, can see there are many others with problems seeking help. So here goes.
Again, this is for my neighbour. He was burgled a couple of months ago and his laptop was stolen. His internet supplier is Talk Talk and he has a Netgear Router - just four years old and G Range.
At a car boot, a couple of months ago, he bought a Belkin N Range - may not have been a sensible purchase?? For Xmas, he has bought a new Packard Bell Desktop and was given a nice Samsung Monitor.
His daughter came yesterday and has spent a good number of hours trying to get her Dad, connected to the Internet. Either with the Netgear or the higher spec Belkin. This has involved her phoning Talk Talk, Netgear and Belkin, oh and also the Tech Guys as well. The latter saying the Netgear is now "rather old". She cannot locate the password which she used four years ago to set up her Dad's original laptop. Of course, buying the second hand Belkin, she does not have the password for this [oh to be "wise" after the event, talk about Buyers Beware? I have not spoken to her today but her Dad says she was informed on one of her telephone calls to do something or other [sorry not to be more explicit] and this brought up an error message which he thinks said Error 621 - he is not certain about this.
Has anyone any advice that I can relay to Karen when she calls back ln the morning, are we flogging a dead horse by using an "old" G Netgear and similarly, a second hand Belkin?? I understand she has made many phone calls but all to no avail.
Please, any advice - though with all the phone calls she has made, I am not hopeful, but this Forum has always helped me in the past, to all who take the time to be kind to dimbos like me, I am very very grateful.

Best Wishes

woodchip 21:13 26 Dec 2010

You cannot set nothing up without the User Name and Password for TalkTalk. If you cannot Find it. This is a good place to pose a question click here

john bunyan 21:14 26 Dec 2010

I have a Belkin N+ router. If you look up on Google you will see how to reset a router to factory settings. Usually people leave the router at default and only enter passwords for the Wireless network.As an example see here;
click here

woodchip 21:26 26 Dec 2010

You cannot connect to a ISP Server without knowing there connection, That means User Name and Password. Router Defaults as nothing to do with the above

chestnutcake 21:49 26 Dec 2010

Woodchip and John Bunyan, I will pass on your tips to Karen in the morning and she will follow your advice, fingers crossed and I will post again tomorrow and let you know.
Computers are wonderful beasts but when you have problems?? Then again, you can say Thanks to the special people on this Forum who are so willing to help.

Woodchip and John Bunyan, I will pass on your tips to Karen in the morning and she will follow your advice, fingers crossed and I will post again tomorrow and let you know.
Computers are wonderful beasts but when you have problems?? Then again, you can say Thanks to the special people on this Forum who are so willing to help.

OOps, sent a duplicate message, must be bed time.

Graham. 23:11 26 Dec 2010

Here click here

The username is your phone number.

The password will be in the documentation, or you can ring the number given from the landline.

Of course, the easiest way is to use the Installation CD that TalkTalk sent originally. This will configure the new PC.

lotvic 01:34 27 Dec 2010

talktalk router settings that you need click here make sure to scroll down page and read the Generic router settings (you don't need the talktalk cd to configure the router if you do the settings yourself)

chestnutcake 14:02 27 Dec 2010

Not anything possitive to report except I made an error when I alluded to Error Code 621 - it is in fact Error Code 651 - which is a stinker of gigantic proportions. Input this error code into Google and quite a few entries for it and because of the complex nature of the error, it states there are several possible solutions, none guaranteed to work and adds, this is a difficult task and should not be attempted unless you know what you are doing. Karen has intelligence but she is apprehensive about tackling some of the suggested solutions, thinking, possibly you could do more harm than good. Actually, there is a mention of this error on the Talk Talk website

- Talk Talk Error Code 651 - your modem has reported an error. Goes on to add, This usually occurs with Windows 2000 when the Internet Connection has become corrupted.

Well, my neighbour cannot get an Internet Connection and his new computer has Windows 7. On other links it says it is specific to Windows 7 so if it has been around since Windows 2000, you would think someone would havc, by now eliminated this fault. When my Sister set up my new W7 computer recently, she did not encounter this trouble. When thieves break in and steal laptops they cause far more damage than just what they have walked off with. Scum comes to mind.
Whatever, Karen is now back at her Dad's having a go but I am not hopeful because she is not an expert. Suppose it will mean paying someone with knowledge to come and set up the new computer but will be worth it and if we can find someone in Wrexham.

Have to also thank Graham and Lotvic for your reponses, as always, I am so grateful for the help that you get on this Forum.

Will report back later.

alB 14:26 27 Dec 2010

Before you pay to have someone sort this problem , explain the situation to TalkTalk and ask them to send a new router, I had problems with my original router but called the helpline, I had to extend my contract by 12 months but as I had no intention of moving ISP's this wasn't a problem, a couple of days later a new router arrived with all the settings configured and after 10 minutes I was back online ...alB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone