Forgotten/Messed up Password

russmini 13:26 15 Nov 2010

Have a distressed friend. She has changed the password on the log in stage of her laptop and now, even though she says she re-typed it and confirmed it, it will not recognize it. She bought it down to me at work and i cannot fathom it out.
It doesn't like the 'new' password, even if i write it various ways, with accidental errors, tried Caps as well. Also does not Luke old password.
If you try to Reset Password, a pop up box comes up with: This feature requires removable media, such as floppy disc etc etc etc. She hasn't got any of that.
This is a few week old Compaq Laptop, running Windows 7 home premium if that makes any difference or helps.

Any advice, help, anything greatly appreciated.

Thanks

birdface 13:37 15 Nov 2010

See if you can enter by using Administrator sign in in safe mode if it asks for a password ignore it and press Ok or whatever it is .
Worth a try and if you get in you can change the password.

Jollyjohn 13:47 15 Nov 2010

Try this - from MS click here

Jollyjohn 14:00 15 Nov 2010

Download recovery files from here click here
I have used this from a bootable cd and it simply clears the password

russmini 14:25 15 Nov 2010

Managed it !!! :-)

Somehow she'd managed to miss the first letter off. I flukily, for some reason tried it without, and hey presto.

Thank you for your help, i will jot down for the future. I know what she's like, lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?