forgotten password please help

dazzling 18:46 18 Nov 2004

i have a small network that attaches my pc to my daughters.i installedit with the xp neywork wizard.i somtimes access her pc using the \\computer name\shared file\ command.i tried to do this today to transfer some files and it askedme for the password.problem is i dont remember allocating one so i cant put it in.i seem to remember an article on passwords in pca where they had a program that identified the passwords.i think it was a security thing does anybody remember or know of a program which will let me see the password.manythanks darren.

Graham ® 19:31 18 Nov 2004

Try pressing enter without inserting a password.

mattyc_92 19:34 18 Nov 2004

What is the password for e.g. administrator for the computer

dazzling (work) 22:10 18 Nov 2004

tried just pressing enter it wouldnt have it.the password is actually to acess the shared disk which is my daughters hard drive.she is only 11 so does not have the ability to set a password herself or says she doesnt.what happens is when i try to acess her hard drive from my pc it asks for a password for the shared folder.i dont think it ever did before but its 6 months since i did it last so could of forgotten. ive tried all the obvious passwords i would use but its non of them.her harddrive is set to shared but it requires a password to acess it from my pc and i dont have it.darren

mattyc_92 12:18 19 Nov 2004

What operating system is the computers running e.g Windows XP on both, Win98 & Windows XP????

Bagnet 13:37 19 Nov 2004

sounds like ur shares have failed... reboot her machine then yours. if that dosnt work delete ur shares on her machine and re set them up that should cure it.

u may still be able to access the admin shares on c$ with her administrator and admin password,

dazzling 19:15 19 Nov 2004

im windows xp pro shes win me.created the network using xp network wizard and the network disc xp creates then ran it in me machine.can still share adsl just cannot acess her harddrive.
bagnet i did that also reinstalled the whole network the actual password protection is on her harddrive refusing shared accsess and i cant change it without first entering password.darren

mattyc_92 19:53 19 Nov 2004

I know that previously you said that she says that she CAN'T change a password, but she CAN. So remembering this......... she may of changed the password and forgot or something..... so you may want to try things that she likes or if her friends or you have a nickname for her, then try that as well

mattyc_92 19:58 19 Nov 2004

I have just thought that, even though this is a long shot, your or her system has been "hacked" or may have a virus on it. If YOUR computer can't access HER hard disk, as the last resort, you may have to format it and start from scratch, so you may have to prepair yourself for that option. If you don't want to give in then you could go to the microsoft website and type in something like.... "recovering a network password".... or try a google search on it (baring in mind you may be there for HOURS)..... this is a long shot as I said though

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 19 Nov 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone