Forced migration to Windows Live Hotmail from Clas

flaming 18:24 25 Mar 2008

I wondered whether there are many other Classic Hotmail users who are resisting the use of Live Hotmail? I have so far but soon I will be forcibly migrated to Live Hotmail. Does that mean I will be switched off and thus lose everything? I have been sent instruction pages from "Feedback" but my eyes glaze over. I would have to have a computer engineer at home for that and a few other things I have "saved up".
However, there might be little point if seasoned users can't get on with it.
What about other e mail providers like bt internet? I have a gmail account but in some ways I have preferred the Classic Hotmail one. It has easy-to-use folders. from what I read in the archives paying for e mails from Live Hotmail to other e mail providers seems to be something users must bear.

Also, do users of Live Hotmail like using it?

AL47 19:20 25 Mar 2008

since being forced to change i now exclusivly use gmail via thunderbird

rdave13 19:38 25 Mar 2008

I'm on Live Hotmail using my @Hotmail email address. Still free account with 5GB mail usage. The only difference is that I sign in to my account using Windows Live ID still with the original hotmail address. Have all emails still in the 'saved' folder etc.

David4637 15:33 26 Mar 2008

I have occassional difficulty in downloading emails from Hotmail using Outlook Express 6. I get an error message 0x800CCC3D. If I try dialling up again, I usually manage to read the emails in OE.
DOES ANYONE ELSE have this problem with an old Hotmail account?
Thanks David

flaming 21:42 26 Mar 2008

David4637. Looks like you are being cut off from usual paths, too. If you do Hotmail Feedback you will just get instructions as to how to sign in on to the new Live Hotmail. I have had lots of commiserations but... "They" are determined. At some point the Classic Hotmail will disappear. I havent really got answers to my questions. It's a nuisance as I don't want the extra fol-de-rols which are touted. I reckon it will be cluttered. I'm sure some people welcome the extra capacity but I can't understand why it can't remain optional. I am sure there are lots of glitches with it, too, and was hoping to get opinions from users.

David4637 13:19 27 Mar 2008

Thanks for your comments, I was begining to think Hotmail had it in for me, promoting there new software which they want us to down load which makes OE defunct I suppose? I like Hotmail as it is and do not want to change something that works well - at least not in the near future. David

dogbreath1 07:30 22 Apr 2008

Have just received an email from Microsoft.

Dear Microsoft Outlook Express customer,

Thank you for using Microsoft® Outlook® Express. Our information indicates that you use Outlook Express to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account via a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning protocol). DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a web-based mail server.

As a valued customer, we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail, a free desktop e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This next generation of free e-mail software will allow you to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts—including Windows Live Hotmail, plus other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Better yet, Windows Live Mail integrates well with other Windows Live services, and downloads in minutes. After you provide your user name and password, you will automatically be linked to your Hotmail account, providing continued access to your email and contacts.

We encourage you to download Windows Live Mail at click here.

And, to make your transition smoother, we've provided answers to frequently asked questions below.

Again, thank you for your use of Outlook Express and we are confident that you'll be just as delighted with the new Windows Live Mail.

Your Windows Live Mail team

Frequently asked questions:

Why are we disabling DAV?

DAV is a legacy protocol that is not well suited for client access to large inboxes. Over time, as we've provided more e-mail storage to our users—and now offer 5GB inboxes for free—a more efficient access protocol is needed.

What are we replacing DAV with?

We have developed a new, much more efficient protocol called DeltaSynch that is far superior to DAV especially for large e-mail inboxes. It enables email clients to only download changes since the last time the client polled the email server for changes. This is much more efficient and high performing than having to download all the headers in every folder as is the case with DAV.

Is DeltaSynch compatible with Outlook Express?

The new protocol unfortunately is NOT supported by Outlook Express and support would require too many changes to the Outlook Express software.

Is there a different or new mail client I can try that uses DeltaSynch?

Microsoft is providing Windows Live Mail, a free e-mail client that has the familiarity of Outlook Express and much more. This free, next generation email client enables users to easily manage multiple e-mail accounts including Windows Live Hotmail and other e-mail accounts that support POP3/IMAP. Windows Live Mail also integrates well with other Windows Live services, is optimized to work with Windows Live Hotmail, and offers:

Offline mail
Windows Live Hotmail account aggregation for those users with multiple Hotmail accounts
Account aggregation for POP and IMAP mail accounts
Rich photo-sharing capabilities
Advanced search via integration with Desktop Search
Safety tools (Anti-Virus scanning, anti-phishing, anti-spam features across aggregated accounts for customers who do not have an Anti-Virus product)
Integration with Windows Live services including Windows Live Spaces
RSS (Real Simple Syndication) feed aggregation
Ability to send SMS (short message service) text to a mobile phone from Windows Live Mail
Where can I download the new Windows Live Mail client?

You can download the new client at click here.

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052

dogbreath1 07:36 22 Apr 2008

Btw, have got Windows Live Mail, so I'll still be OK in retrieving my Hotmail.

Interestingly, I've got a paid for Hotmail addie which enabled me (among other things) to retrieve my Hotmail through OE. Windows Live Mail will collect free Hotmail email, but it's not been suggested that folk my want to save a few quid a year by ditching something that they may not now need.

That's Micro$haft for you!

flaming 19:12 22 Apr 2008

Well, dogbreath, what can I say? Wonder how many more schmoozy letters there'll be? I've had mine. Iron fist, velvet glove and all that. I reckon I'll just be turned off one day.

mulligan 17:55 23 Apr 2008

With Hotmail access via OE due to end on June 30 I installed Windows Live Mail. Works well with POP3 accounts and very good at screening junk mail. However my Hotmail accounts wont send or receive with the above error. No response as yet from Windows Live Customer Support at click here. Has anyone else had this problem or know a fix?

WinXp Sp2 Home. Windows Live Mail version 2008 (Build 12.0.1606). Free Hotmail accounts x3 (all still work in OE at the moment).

flaming 12:53 24 Apr 2008

I should try a new thread for that one. My comment/questions are getting old now. Your question has little relevance to my question even if someone looked that far back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?