Fool has half reinstalled XP-is all data erased?

buel 21:30 26 Oct 2010

Hello, someone i know has totally ignored my advice and used an XP disk to reinstall XP when my advice was try at least try the repair option. Anyway, she is now panicking as it has got to the stage where she has been asked to enter the key.
Please can anyone tell me is this too late to stop the reinstallation and revert back to the repair option?

Nontek 21:44 26 Oct 2010

The key of course should be on a sticker on her computer. If no sticker.....BIG Ooooops! I doubt if the procedure can be reversed.

buel 21:52 26 Oct 2010

Hmmm..the sticker seems to be missing unfortunately! But can anyone shed any light on whether the 'repair' option is available still?

Jwbjnwolf 21:57 26 Oct 2010

what a sticky situation she is in, If she still has box that it came in then tell her to look at it from head to toe, and tell her to look in the manual and all that
even if in doubt at least give it a go, may be lucky
She may of even took it of her laptop and put on the manual or something and of forgot about it.
I would tell her to do this precise at this very minite

Jwbjnwolf 22:01 26 Oct 2010

P.S
she may have a hidden partition that she does not know about just like mine
Tell her to also try that.
How she can do this is by using the start up repair tool on the disk and it should find her hidden partition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 26 Oct 2010

'repair' option is available still?

Maybe if its only got to the input key part unless she formatted the drive.

Take the drive out and put into a caddy and attach to another machine to attempt to get documents off before trying anything else with the CD.

MAT ALAN 22:10 26 Oct 2010

I think it will much depend on where the install was put, on the existing C:/ partition (which is probably the whole drive) or if another partition was created.
I fear the worst...

buel 22:10 26 Oct 2010

Hi, thank you for that, i think the problem currently is if she restarts the computer it automatically jumps to the '37 minutes to go' bit of the reinstallation?

Jwbjnwolf 22:18 26 Oct 2010

Even if she has wiped the hdd like I did it does, win7 still found vista which is was in the hidden partition which cannot be hidden
What is the make
Is it an:
acer,
hp,
or what?
If it's resumbly new it should have a hidden partition
click here will tell you what happened with me
hope this helps

Nontek 22:20 26 Oct 2010

I dunno if this would work at this stage, but has she tried starting in Safe Mode - might be able to take things further if she can.

MAT ALAN 22:24 26 Oct 2010

win7 still found vista which is was in the hidden partition which cannot be hidden

Don't quite see how that is going to help on a PC running XP that i doubt has a hidden partition...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?