Fonts/Icons/Information etc to large for screen

wishtobwireless 14:30 10 Jul 2007

Just set up Windows XP home on old PC with 15" screen. I have checked the help site and it says I need to have it set up for 1084 pixels, high resolution. I cannot find how to change this or if this is the correct thing to do? Basically I am trying to get everything smaller so it will fit on the screen better! I have changed fonts from large to default but hasn't made any difference...
thanks for your help

recap 14:46 10 Jul 2007

Right click an empty space on your desktop and select Propeties/Settings

Stuartli 15:02 10 Jul 2007

To add to recap's advice, click on the Advanced button in Settings and change the DPI size if necessary.

96DPI is the normal setting.

wishtobwireless 16:11 10 Jul 2007

And it will not let me change it to anything else as there are no other options!

Whaty 16:16 10 Jul 2007

What is the current screen resolution? It maybe set to 800 x 600 or even 640 x 480.... If it is and you cannot select a higher res you may need to install the correct driver for your graphics card/chip?

wishtobwireless 17:03 10 Jul 2007

I will look at loading a correct driver tmoz! Where would I find this pls? Is it a hardware driver or software pls?
Thanks for your help

Stuartli 17:27 10 Jul 2007

If you right click in an empty area on the Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>click on List All Modes, you will be able to see what colour/resolution/refresh rates are supported at present on the system.

Providing you have the required combination (probably best to select True or High colour at 32 bit and 85MHz refresh rate), highlight the combination and click OK; elect not to have to reboot Windows.

Whaty 15:21 11 Jul 2007

Follow Stuartli's advice first and see which, if any, options are available to you. If there are no other options then you will most likely need to install the drivers for your graphics adapter.

To find the correct driver we will need to know which graphics adapter is installed. Whilst you are in the screen Stuartli's advice guides you to, take note of the 'Adapter Type', it should be displayed clearly in the upper half of the screen. Once you know the adapter you just need to do a search to find a suitable driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?