Font USB's not working?

Uboat 13:57 04 Mar 2011

Hi again guys, ive had two issues today :-(

i run on a XPS 720H2C Quad Extreme & it has 5 usb's on the back & 2/3 on the front but the front ones have never worked since ive had the pc? they are plugged in the back so has anyone any ideas please?

Thanks
UB

johndrew 14:11 04 Mar 2011

Presumably you have checked the connection is sound - no broken wires or such.

Have you checked the BIOS to see if there is anything there?

If it is still under warranty (or Dell feel kind) you could ask for advice click here

Terry Brown 14:15 04 Mar 2011

Normally for the front ones to work, you need a cable from the USB connection on the Motherboard to the USB.

Do you buy the motherbord and fit (or have it fitted) yourself, if so you should have have a couple of spare cables to connect this up.

I have had a quick look and cannot see which cable you need.

Without knowing the cable connection required, you will need to access the manufactors website for more details.
Terry

Uboat 16:49 04 Mar 2011

Thanks guys for your replies!

I seem to have a issue with the "ieee 1394 driver" i cant get one from anywhere? any ideas please? ive been on to MS site but found it as usual very long winded & no direct download link from them?

Thanks

UB

Uboat 21:50 04 Mar 2011

Anyone?

northumbria61 21:54 04 Mar 2011

Have a look here and see if anything click here

northumbria61 21:58 04 Mar 2011

OR have you tried here click here

Uboat 12:26 05 Mar 2011

northumbria61 hi thankyou for the replies! ive looked at the links on your post and couldnt find a direct link? there is companies trying to sell me driver software that updates them!?

Cheers UB

Uboat 22:01 05 Mar 2011

Anyone?

ACOLYTE 22:46 05 Mar 2011

If they never worked contact the supplier,the pc was sold with supposedly working USB ports and if they are not ,like you said its up to them to put it right .The ieee 1394 driver what you say is not related to USB,but is firewire driver,so are yu sure its usb not firewire?

ICF 07:17 06 Mar 2011

The cable for connecting the front USB ports usually comes with the case.
If you feel comfortable with it open the case and have a look and see if they are connected.

What make and model of motherboard is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?