Font removal Win 98

sila 09:30 20 Jul 2004

I have over a 1000 fonts in the folder. I only use photoimaging, word and excel. Do I need so many fonts, if not do I have to remove them one by one ? There is a programme called ATM de luxe but it is quite expensive

Terry Brown 10:00 20 Jul 2004

I think the extention for fonts in win 98 is fnt ( e.g. arial.fnt). Do a search for this extention and the fonts you do not want move to another folder /storage devive (Floppy?)

Pesala 11:02 20 Jul 2004

The Font Thing (483 K) click here Font Manager

First create an independent directory to store all your fonts, just in case you remove one you shouldn't have. C:\My Fonts\ for example.

Copy all of the fonts from C:\Windows\Fonts\ to that directory.

Then you can delete large numbers of fonts. Sorting by date is often a good way to identify groups of fonts that came with one package.

This page is a useful guide to which fonts should not be removed.

The Font Thing is great for previewing and managing fonts. I usually do mine manually, because I don't change them often, and I know where to find what I need, but The Font Thing will automate the process.

Pesala 11:02 20 Jul 2004
  Filch 13:16 20 Jul 2004

In 98, click on My Computer, then Control Panel, the Fonts. Always remove fonts from here.

sila 14:55 20 Jul 2004

Thanks to all of you who have responded. Will follow through advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?