Font problems

JustinJSY 22:52 06 Dec 2008

I am running Office 2007 on Windows Vista Home Basic.

My problem is that I receive emails & word documents written in a font not installed on my system. On my system, these emails and word documents come out in a very odd font which is practically un-readable. Is there a way of telling the system to use a different font (eg Arial)?

Sea Urchin 00:28 07 Dec 2008

Which eMail client are you using - is it Windows Mail?

JustinJSY 07:32 07 Dec 2008

I'm using Outlook 2007, but I get the same problem if I use a word document with this non-installed font. It's a bespoke font from a major bank, and I am sure other people don't have the same problem viewing it.

BT 08:06 07 Dec 2008

How about telling the Bank of the problems with their font. You'd think their IT people would know not to use none standard fonts.

Sea Urchin 08:49 07 Dec 2008

In Word open the document > go to Edit > Select All - expand the Font box (which may be blank) and select your required font from the drop-down. You can do the same in Outlook by clicking Reply and then repeating the process - highlight all and select new font.

But I agree with BT - it's odd for a major bank to use a font that customers cannot display.

JustinJSY 18:24 07 Dec 2008

Thanks for this. I think it is more an issue with my system. When I log on using a different user account on Windows the font comes out as Arial. I have had font problems before using Windows Mail where my font goes as Arial but arrives at the other end as Times New Roman.

Rahere 18:30 07 Dec 2008

I believe you can force outlook and windows to display text in your chosen format in mail settings.

I can specify how it looks at my end. I usually force outlook to use plain text even when responding to fancy html formatted messages. What happens at the other end is beyond your control I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?