Font Issue

User-CB94CED6-F3AA-42E7-8A286564F5DCBC14 11:16 06 Jul 2006

I do'nt know if this is the way my browsers are set up or a real problem. I was reading some font advice in the .net mag to use verdana, georgia, tahoma, sans serif; combination. Seems ok but when I use verdana as an underlined link IE6 does not show the underline, Firefox does. Is there a known general problem with some fonts in this context?

Many thanks

harristweed 12:43 06 Jul 2006

Not aware of a problem.

Can we have a URL please, then perhaps someone can spot what the problem is.

ade.h 18:48 06 Jul 2006

I think that your Internet Explorer options are probably configured not to underline links unless you hover over them. A setting that I prefer to use in any browser, though I don't use IE except for testing.

old&nojob 07:55 08 Jul 2006

Here is the code (sorry page not posted). As I said before if I change the first 'verdana' to arial or remove it then the underline appears!
I have tested this with arial and that's OK as well.

HTML (class within the 'site-slogan' DIV):

<p class="subsubtitle"><a href="#">Headmasters Message</a></p>

& CSS:

.site-slogan p.subsubtitle {clear: both; float: right; width: 700px; margin: 3px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px; color: #000000; font-family: verdana, georgia, tahoma, sans serif; text-align: right; font-weight: bold; line-height: 1.0em; font-size: 120%;}
.site-slogan a {color: #000000; text-decoration: underline;}
.site-slogan a:hover {text-decoration: none; color: #000080;}

I do not think the code is faulty but maybe a setting I do'nt know about (in IE) or a bug in IE (less likely).

old&nojob 07:58 08 Jul 2006

PS 'cantthinkofanickname' and 'old&nojob' are the same login (not sure how that happened).

harristweed 08:55 08 Jul 2006

Yes, a real weird one. Looks like a bug in I.E., what a surprise! If you alter the line height to 1.1 em, it works. Make the line height 1em or less and it doesn’t.

old&nojob 14:28 08 Jul 2006

Thanks for that harristweed. I do not know if another font type has the same problem. I will change my CSS and comment it so I can come back in IE7 to recheck (any guessess?). If anyone else cares to experiment please feedback here.

PurplePenny 23:51 08 Jul 2006

If it works with a slightly bigger line height then I imagine that what is happening is that the underline just doesn't show - it's being cut off by the line height.

old&nojob 18:19 10 Jul 2006

Purple penny, I've tried that because it was the first thing I thought of; it does seem to be related to the font type.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?