Font changed

MoiraB 15:25 14 Oct 2004

I was moving some fonts from a floppy to a CD by dragging and dropping in windows Explorer and as I clicked on the CD drive in the left hand pane all the fonts became bold and when a message appeared the font had changed to some sort of script and is almost unreadable.

wotbus@ 15:46 14 Oct 2004

Perhaps it wasnt the correct procedure for copying from floppy to CD and you have corrupted something!. Try doing an error check [the old system file check]. If still the same, try restore back to last restore point. You don't say which OS you are using but for XP its:
My PC>right click drive>Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now> tick the top box and reboot.
System Restore is start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore.
Good luck.

MoiraB 16:01 14 Oct 2004

It's not XP it's 98SE. It's not desperately important as I'm about to reformat the hard disk as I'm giving the computer to my sister but I'm still in the process of saving all the files I want to CD before doing so and it's making it difficult to read any messages.

Diemmess 16:20 14 Oct 2004

If you still have trouble try this.

Control Panel > Display > Appearance.

Now in appearance Click on Active Window

Bottom left should show the font in use so if you don't recognise it scroll down for a familiar one.
If you are not sure try Tahoma which is a Windows native font and OK out of there. Hopefully when you reboot everything should be readable again.

As a footnote, if you want to do this another time, then control panel > fonts - click on fonts to see all you have, then - File > install new font. Point to the floppy and select the font, Windows will do the rest

MoiraB 17:03 14 Oct 2004

I'll try that when I can get into the machine again. I wasn't trying to install from the floppy, I was trying to transfer a font from the floppy to a CD so that if I wanted to load them on to my other machine I'd have them available.

MoiraB 16:03 17 Oct 2004

Eventually I decided to reboot and lo an behold all was back to normal - I should have tried that first!

Diemmess 13:25 18 Oct 2004

Good to know all is resolved.

Knowing when to re-boot is wisdom indeed. Having used Win98 for about a decade, I am only now grudgingly admitting that 2K is better. Even so,I respect your reluctance to reboot until you had tried everything else......... Closing down and rebooting is one way to save the corruption and faults you were trying to lose!

On the other hand, I'll bet you've had times when response is either very slow or downright silly, while handling several apps at once, and then a simple close down and reboot works wonders.

Give this post a tick now?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone