Folders empty after recovering damaged profile

Stymied 12:36 18 Jan 2009

Recently my profile in WIndows XP was "damaged" and eventually I found a Windows XP article telling your how to create a new profile and transfer the settings. This was Article ID 555473 "How to recover a damaged user profile". I followed the instructions exactly and thought it had worked because in the My Documents of my new profile were all the folders from the old. I didn't immediately check the folder contents, but today I did.

All the folders in the new profile are empty. I've not deleted my documents from Documents and Settings under the old profile and I assume the contents of the folders are still there. If not I can also access the backup on a mobile hard drive.

Can anyone spot where I went wrong? I'd be grateful and relieved if anyone could also tell me the easiest way to reunite the documents with their folders?

Any help would be much appreciated. Many, many thanks.

Stymied 16:50 18 Jan 2009

It's just the first half of folders that are empty. So, folders from Letters onwards to the end of the alphabet have had their contents as well as their names copied.

But the folders in roughtly the first half of the alphabet, contain their subfolders, but all of them are empty.

Any suggestions?

brundle 16:56 18 Jan 2009

Get unstoppable copier; click here

Set source c:\Documents and Settings\<old account name>
Set destination c:\Documents and Settings\<new account name>

Or choose specific folders from each if you'd prefer to be more cautious, "My Documents" to begin with. You may need to set Explorer to show hidden/system folders; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?