folder wont disappear!

theDarkness 21:58 24 Jun 2008

I have a folder next to all my drive icons that wont disappear, does anyone know how to get rid of it? perhaps i need to do so via the registery? I cant remember how it got there, but clicking on it does nothing. Im running vista, but thought id post it in here as if it was the same problem in xp the solution is probably similar.. anyone have any ideas? [url='click here'][img]click here[/img][/url]

sinbads 22:49 24 Jun 2008
  theDarkness 00:00 25 Jun 2008

Thanks, but i already have unlocker on vista, that wont work on this kind of file because of its location- good program though. That wont solve it since the folder that wont delete that has no name, is next to all the drives (cd and hd, in my computer) so all it gives me with options is to either open, explore, or create shortcut. All of these do absolutely nothing, the screen flashes but nowt happens with no messages (although i get a "could not create shortcut" for the latter). Its almost as if this folder used to be a drive itself which is no longer valid, and its icon bizarrely changed into a folder, although not a valid one you can open! The problem lies in the registry i reckon, the folder simply shouldnt exist, although i have no idea where to look and how to delete its existence

sinbads 19:46 27 Jun 2008

I guess you cant drag it to the desktop and delete it from there? or even rename it then delete.

Can you add to this folder?

Have a look in disk management.....Right click on my comp/manage/then disk managemet see if there's anything odd there.

You could allways use a reg cleaner click here

skidzy 19:54 27 Jun 2008

Try taking ownership of the folder and then delete it.

Add the small zip file to your right click menu,click on the folder and take ownership,then right click and delete.

Check the folder is empty first !

If the folder has any contents,please post those back here.

skidzy 19:55 27 Jun 2008

Sorry the link and how to do this click here

woodchip 19:58 27 Jun 2008

Have you right clicked the Folder to see if its a shortcut to a Folder? check Target under Properties

theDarkness 01:30 28 Jun 2008

I think i installed an old program onto vista which caused the problem. because of the folders location being somewhere normal folders couldnt be, next to all the drives when i click on "my computer" (check pic in my first post), i have found that i cant delete, move, explore, create shortcuts or add content to it. It is simply an icon next to all the drives that wont go away. If i try and mess with it (eg compress it) windows gives me "application not found" so i have a feeling the only option i have is to try a registry editor to delete it. If i can work out exactly where to look within it for cleaning out a worthless icon stuck on the my computer screen,that is..! ill give the one above a go if its vista compatible, thanks

FatboySlim71 08:08 28 Jun 2008

You could try moving the folder to your recycle bin by using unlocker, try renaming it and moving it to your desktop.

I know when I have had trouble using unlocker that one of the above methods works ; )

skidzy 08:52 28 Jun 2008

Have you tried to take ownership of the folder first as ive pointed out above,its a simple process to do and may just work as this will override the default permissions.

Another thought is to disable UAC and try to remove this folder.

jbaker65 09:24 28 Jun 2008

I had a folder that windows would not let me delete even using 'unlocker'.
I copied everything on that drive to spare space on another drive and then did a quick format on the first drive. This cleared it and I moved all the other stuff back.
Naturally, this wont work if your first drive has your operating system on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone