Folder shows as empty but does contain files

ened 17:23 09 Dec 2014

I transferred a load of pictures into a folder. The next day I can't access the Folder and, hovering the cursor over it, it shows as empty. It will not open, nor will it allow me to move it to a different drive. The drive is showing as Healthy and all other folders on that drive are okay. The moved files do not show up on a search.

wee eddie 17:42 09 Dec 2014

Reboot and try again

ened 17:50 09 Dec 2014

Funnily enough on the first reboot it froze on the POST screen. Started second time and Folder still shows as empty. I estimate there should be approx. 5GB in there.

When I tried to 'Take Ownership' of the folder there was a lot of activity for an empty folder but it all flashed by so quickly that I was unable to see any file names.

I'm wondering if a file recovery software might help?

Secret-Squirrel 18:14 09 Dec 2014

Ened, a disk check of the relevant drive may fix things. Here's how to do it in Windows 7.

rdave13 18:16 09 Dec 2014

Try showing 'hidden files and folders'. clck here.

robintheumpteenth 18:16 09 Dec 2014

Just needs the Permissions setting properly.

Right click > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced

click here

ened 07:41 10 Dec 2014

I have run a Disk Check and it showed all fine. The only thing is that everytime I do anything to try to access this folder the next boot fails.

I always have access to 'hidden' stuff on my machines. Never-the-less I tried hiding it and then opening again but no success for this folder.

Likewise the permissions.

I assume that something I put in this folder had a problem and has messed up the whole folder, but I can't move it.

These are personal photos which I had moved into the folder in order to back up the whole thing. Before I invest in some recovery software:

a)Is it likely to work?

b)Is any recovery software free?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?