Folder problems in XP

Jonah(without the whale) 17:15 10 May 2005

I have had lots of problems with my new computer, and so I'm trying to get my cash back. However one of the problems has mystified me and a clue as to what is going on would be interesting - has anyone an idea.
Any attempt to create a new folder, from an explorer or anywhere else, causes the desktop to blank. All icons disappear and are then redisplayed. This means that I cannot create new places for specific items, such as letters, and so on.
I'm running XP Home (SP2)and I think that somewhere there is corruption.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 10 May 2005

Explorer corruption

In XP tpye sfc /scannow in run box with XP CD in drive

Jonah(without the whale) 09:00 11 May 2005

At the moment I cannot do anything to the machine, in case I can hand it back and get cash in return, but, if and when I can carry our your instructiins I will.

Having said that, when I do what you have said, can you explain what it is I am doing and what is being resolved?

Many thanks

Jonah(without the whale) 08:54 17 Jun 2005

Much time and angst has passed, but it's sorted. I think I picked up a lng from this forum to simplyguides.net, where there was some bvery hekpful advice about how to repair WindowsXP. I followed the instructions and lo - all now works very well indeed.
So, I was right. Windows XP was damaged in some way, by the fools who had installed a new power supply on my machine. Sop all is well.
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017