Folder Levels

Mollo 13:33 31 Mar 2009

Hi!
I'm in the process of cleaning up my Windows 98SE.

I got to defragging and it stopped because some repairs needed to be done on one of the HDDs.

On running Scandisk I got the message that the operation couldn't continue because "The top level folder was full and some files needed to be removed to continue.

How do I do this?

emily3543 14:09 31 Mar 2009

it seem that there is no space on your hard disk. you have to make space on your hDD's perticular drive where you want to run this command. so Delete unwanted file and software form your system. After that try to run scan disk command again.

DieSse 14:39 31 Mar 2009

A FAT32 directory (folder) can have 65,536 directory entries. Each file and subdirectory takes from two to thirteen entries, depending on the length of its name, so those entries can disappear long before you think you've used them all up.

In FAT16 the root (top level) folder (usually the C:\ drive) has a limit of 512 entries. The use of long file names can significantly reduce the number of available entries.

So it looks as if your root folder has too many files, and you need to delete some.

Terry Brown 14:44 31 Mar 2009

The 'Top Level' is normally C Root( i.e. C:\[program name).
If you have space on your hard drive create a folder (e.g. C:\my work\) and put some of your work in thereIf the ard drive is full, transfer some of your working data to a CD and try again.
Terry

Mollo 15:26 31 Mar 2009

Thanks for your responses guys, I have C and D drives and the D drive is the one I'm trying to clear.
I only installed the D drive to recover some data for my daughter-in law. Just out of curiosity I decided to defrag it at the same time as I was doing my own.
In Explorer on the D drive there are all kinds of folders which, when expanded, show zilch in the file! there are also numerous NTUninstall files.
Do I create the new folder in D then slot some of these into that folder?
You can probably tell by now I'm no "Techie"

DieSse 15:56 31 Mar 2009

I suggest first off you run a Disk Clean-up, to delete temporary and redundant files.

You can use the standard Windows one (Progs - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Clean-up.

Or for a better clean, Wise Disk Cleaner.

Free download at click here

Mollo 10:19 05 Apr 2009

I've tried to post two progress responses and both have failed to appear.
Anyway I'll try again.To cut it short I've now managed to clean the folders out of the Top level and defragged it and it worked perfectly in my PC. However when I replaced it in my D-I-L's PC and switch on the PC it stalls with the monitor showing "No Signal", a dead Keyboard and mouse. The CPU(Intel Celeron)fan is running, does this mean that the CPU is OK?
How can I check the reason for the failure to boot up?

DieSse 13:33 05 Apr 2009

"...does this mean that the CPU is OK?"

No - that's too big an assumption.

If you never get anything at all on the screen - there's a major issue, such as PSU, motherboard, RAM, plug-in card, or some such.

I've lost you about why you're putting it in another system - can you please explain the history so far - it may help show where the problem is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017