Folder icons in Vista

Jak_1 19:00 20 Mar 2009

For some reason the icons have changed, last time doing a system restore cured this. However, in XP it was easy to change these from the files and folders settings in the control panel. I can't seem to do this in Vista as I can't find the option to do this. Would appreciate any help as I don't really want to have to do another system restore.

mfletch 19:04 20 Mar 2009

Try right click on the desktop click personalize

There is a icon option there

mfletch 19:06 20 Mar 2009

Or right click on the folder icon click properties customize change icon

Jak_1 20:29 20 Mar 2009

Rt clicking the folder icon and then clicking on properties does not give me the option to customize the icon.

MAJ 20:33 20 Mar 2009

Please clarify, which icons have changed, what have they changed from and what have they changed to?

Jak_1 20:40 20 Mar 2009

It's the Zip and Rar folders that have gone haywire, The zip folders just apear as a blank folder and the rar folders have a small rar icon surrounded by white in the centre of the folder. I have had to reset them both to open with winrar. PC shows no restore points after I last did a restore 2 days ago. Very odd.

MAJ 21:10 20 Mar 2009

Right-click on the folder, choose Properties, then click the Customise tab, then click the Change Icon button.

Jak_1 21:18 20 Mar 2009

There is no customise tab, just general, security and details. The only other option is in the general tab, the chance to change what program the folder opens with. I do not need to change the opening program.

MAJ 21:40 20 Mar 2009

This click here should get it back for you, Jak_1. Becareful when in the registry, don't modify or delete anything other than what told to do.

Jak_1 22:10 20 Mar 2009

Many thanks. I will leave that until tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on.

Jak_1 12:18 21 Mar 2009

Hm, interesting however, on opening reg edit,Navigating to the :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer
-and-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

Shows no explorer in policies on both counts and therefore cannot alter the values. Seems like I'm stumped. One solution would be to take back to factory settings, however that is like using a sledgehammer to crack a wallnut and I don't really feel like re-doing the whole system at this point in what really is just a niggle and does not prevent me opening both rar and zip files with winrar.

Thanks for your responses anyway, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?