Folder dragging not working correctly

m800afc 08:09 09 Dec 2009

Windows XP Pro SP3; ASRock 775VM800; Pentium 4; 3GHz; 2Gb RAM

My computer is behaving oddly again. I use a dual monitor setup, with monitor 1, left, landscape, being the primary monitor and 2, right, portrait being the secondary.
When I open a folder on monitor 1, and then left click and drag the title bar to move the window, it does not move, but maximises instead. I have discovered by trial and error, that a shift left click and drag actually does move the folder window. This only happens with folders, applications work as expected.
The curious thing is that monitor 2 acts perfecly normally, with left click drag moving the folder window.
I have checked the folder options, and all seems normal. I have also tried a system restore to a point before this started happening. The system restore completed normally, but did not solve the problem. I checked and re-installed the logitech mouse driver and that is up to date.
I have not installed any other software recently, and I am at a loss to explain this. Microsoft Security Essentials has been run, and the scan revealed nothing untoward.
Can anyone help resolve this for me?

woodchip 09:55 09 Dec 2009

If you got to Display settings in Control Panel you can change monitors 1 & 2 round I think it will also change the focus Window Round also

Graphicool1 14:24 09 Dec 2009

If Woodchip's solution didn't help, try this...

Click on 'My Computer'
Right click C: (your OS drive)
In menu click 'Properties'
Click the 'Tools' tab
Under 'Error Checking' click 'Check Now'
click the box next to...
'Automatically Fix File System Errors'
Click 'Start'
A notice will say it can't do it until the next time you boot. Click 'Yes' and reboot

User-1229748 14:32 09 Dec 2009

in your folder options make sure you have not got single click to open point to select enabled.

m800afc 10:03 25 Dec 2009

Thank you for your replies.
Sadly none of them change my mouse settings. Is there a way to reset the mouse settings to default, perhaps that may help?
All sorts of things are now working oddly, for example, I only have to touch the scroll slider for it to automatically scroll to the bottom of the page, and if I move away from the scroll button, the page is automatically scrolled to the top. This means I cannot scroll to anywhere inbetween.
I have tried system restore, but although I have lots of restore points, none of them work.
Is it time to repair XP?

T0SH 10:27 25 Dec 2009

Try a full scan with Malwarebytes

(it will take ages)

also you could try the system restore from safe mode, for some odd reason that seems to work when it will not in normal mode

Lastly I have in the past when I have had random things starting to go wrong for no apparent reason it has eventually turned out to be a faulty ram stick

Cheers HC

woodchip 11:29 25 Dec 2009

Try mouse settings in Control Panel. You may also have a Mouse Icon near System clock double click it to find settings or right click it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?