Folder date modified in Windows XP

IanJF 22:16 02 Apr 2006

Whenever I copy a file to a folder in XP (Home and Pro) the folder's date modified attribute is updated to show the current time. Is there a way of stopping this? I'd rather it stayed the same as when the folder was created.

Mr A! 22:18 02 Apr 2006

Im not sure if you can stop this but I know there are free programs on the internet which let you change the date of files and folders if you wish to change the date back to what it was.

terryf 23:39 02 Apr 2006

If you use windows explorer to view the files then right click on the bar that says file name, size, etc. you can put a tick against 'date created' as well as 'date modified' and if you click on 'more' at the bottom of this list you will find dozens of attributes that you can view for each file

Smiler 10:54 03 Apr 2006

excellent tip but how can it be made global please :-)

anskyber 11:44 03 Apr 2006

My docs>View>choose details then as terryf. The info will then be available for all files you highlight.

IanJF 21:17 03 Apr 2006

Good tip about the different details you can have displayed, but it isn't what I want unfortunately.

I would like to see just one date column in which the date of a folder doesn't change when you save a file to it but the date of a file does change as you save it. I think that's how Windows 98 behaved and that would be most useful to me and my work colleagues.

ade.h 21:37 03 Apr 2006

Apply the "date created" attribute to the details view of top level folders, and apply the "date modified" attribute to the details view of the relevant sub-folders. Thus, when viewing your folders you'll see the date on which they were created and when viewing the files within them, you'll see the date on which they modified. Not ideal, as the attributes of the folders and files themselves are not controlled in the way that you would like, but at least the necessary information is displayed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone