Floppy not recognised on Windows 98 se system

SEGT 23:22 08 Oct 2003

Floppy Drive won't recognise disc.
My 'A' drive won't recognise when a disk is put into it. I have checked in the device manager and it says the floppy drive controller and generic floppy drive are functioning properly, but wqhen I try to read a disk I get a message saying load floppy. I bought a new floppy drive and tried it but the problem remains. Any ideas.

woodchip 23:31 08 Oct 2003

Have you checked it bios that it is enable, also set as first boot device followed by Hard Drive then CD-ROM

woodchip 23:31 08 Oct 2003

It could be a faulty cable

Bramblerose 23:45 08 Oct 2003

It may not be seated properly. I have a floppy drive that is too far back or forward - can't quite remember which... anyway, when the pc case is on, the floppy drive doesnt work, when I take the front of the case off... it does.

DieSse 23:50 08 Oct 2003

Does it work in DOS - can you boot from it and read data from it before you get to Windows?

Ironman556 00:31 09 Oct 2003

In addition to Bramblerose's post, try pushing the floppy firmly into the drive and holding it, I had one that wouldn't read until I did exactly that, formatted it and it works fine now.

You could try flipping the cable at the floppy drive end (but not on mobo). I had a Sony drive that worked fine, but when I swapped it for a Mitsumi got floppy fail's. Flipped the cable and now it's fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

How artist Alex Yanes worked with his daughter on this bright 3D mural for Monument Valley 2

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comment regarder le lancement du Galaxy Note 8 en direct ?