floppy drives/hardware wizard

aine 16:15 01 Apr 2007

I have just fitted a floppy drive, the hardware wizard cant find it,i have rechecked the internal wiring and it seems to be correct,the drive came without a cd, there is one internally fitted by Dell. The floppy drive came from Dell and i assumed it would connect without any trouble. please help o great seers

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:29 01 Apr 2007

Perhaps the FDC floppy drive controller is disabled in the BIOS.

Boot to BIOS and enable it, save and exit, rebboot to windows and see if the 3 1/2 drive appears in My computer.

howard64 16:32 01 Apr 2007

double check that the ribbon cable is connected the correct way round? The edge with an indicator colour on it usually is next to the power supply.

aine 16:42 01 Apr 2007

many thanks for speedy replies, SIW tells me the kernal driver, inactive, demand/start.
The cable has a lug on either end, which would only allow a fit one way,the end with the split for twisting is near the power supply.Regarding what Fruitbat said i do not know how to go into BIOS.

howard64 16:49 01 Apr 2007

when you switch on wait for the first post screen and then hit del key or f1 as shown on the screen before windows start to boot.

aine 17:18 01 Apr 2007

In my case it was f2, got to BIOS ,said floppy drive "not present" after that i was lost?if i click on drivers what should i be looking for?

Diemmess 17:29 01 Apr 2007

Back to the BIOS page where it says Floppy drive not present.
Can you not (using arrow keys) work your way down to the floppy drive line and using PgUp or PageDown toggle through the possibilities?

If you succeed in showing FDD as present, then (usually) press F10 to save your changes and continue.

Don't worry too much that you could get in a mess. The default is to abandon any changes and continue.

aine 17:48 01 Apr 2007

thank you geniuses, it worked, with your brains and my gamble its working. What would we do without you all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?