Floppy Drive (A:/) starts up at odd times

Geordie 14:07 31 Mar 2003

When I Send a document to the printer, the A drive starts up! when I shut down the computer, the A drive starts up. It does this on other odd occasions. Why does it happen and how can I stop it.

Sid

DieSse 14:31 31 Mar 2003

When you shut down the computer, it's usually the Virus scanning program.

Other causes may be that there is a document in the recelty used list, which came from a floppy disk - when you do File operations, it may cause the system to try and access this file. Try clearing all recently used lists.

Geordie 15:00 31 Mar 2003

vmt for that. I have tried clearing the recently used file lists and I haven't used the A Drive in ages.

Djohn 15:54 31 Mar 2003

I think that DieSse is still on the right track, even though you have cleared your "Recent documents" on the Start/documents screen.

It appears that somehow your word documents still have an association with the "a" drive.

xtreme_computing 16:00 31 Mar 2003

yes like mentioned above, you need to make sure that nothing is associated with the A:\ drive

example open any programs that have a save function and click save and check the save path isn't pointing to the A:\ drive as this can trigger it off.

also maybe check your antivirus software because if you did a virus scan on your floppy drive this could trigger it off so check that also

Patr100 16:07 31 Mar 2003

Earlier thread may help although the originator never got back to us :
click here

Geordie 18:45 31 Mar 2003

vmt for all that.
have tried to start up every prog. and when I get to SURETHING CD LABEL DELUXE 3.1 the A drive starts up.

Cant find anything that would make it do that.

Djohn 18:55 31 Mar 2003

You could try disabling (SURETHING CD LABEL DELUXE 3.1) for a while, and print off a couple of documents, see if it cures the problem. J.

Geordie 14:50 01 Apr 2003

I have disabled Surething and the problem seems to have gone away as if by magic.
I will uninstall the prog and then reinstall. See if it is ok then.
Many thanks to everyone for the help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?