Floppy drive Disk I/O Read Error

BeForU 01:28 12 Jul 2004

Hello. I have been trying to use a floppy drive for some time now but keep getting the above error message everytime i insert a disk and try to read it or format it. I have tried two floppy drives used from my old computers, both are about 6-8 years old now so I'm not sure if thats why. I even tried to use them on their old computers themselves yet still get that error. Ive also checked the IDE cables and used different ones but still didnt sort the problem out. Anybody have any idea what is wrong?

GRFT 07:19 12 Jul 2004

It's highly unusual for two drives to go faulty like this, but as you have tried another cable and another system then that's where the problem must be. Faulty media usually throws up a read error.

BeForU 16:54 12 Jul 2004

So it must be the disk then? I've m,anaged to have tried like 6 different floppies but still get the error. Perhaps maybe I should try out all my other ones to see if one works?

GRFT 08:24 04 Aug 2004

In a case like this you must establish if you have a known good drive or floppy disc in order to prove where the fault lies. Beg borrow or steal one or get access to a good system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?