floppy drive cable for a dell 9150 dimension help

SANAP 22:36 13 Jan 2006

I bought a DELL 9150 and opted not to have a floppy drive pre installed so instead bought one from dabs. However, no floppy drive cable in the DELL, saves money no doubt, got a fd cable from ebay, just tried it and it won't fit ie the holes for connecting it dont match up with the pins on the Mothboard!!

I thougt a floppy cable was a floppy cable?? oN On the DELL I can count 32 pins on the mobo but 2 pins are blank ie missing. I can fit one end of the floppy cable to FD ok, i am fitting the end with a twist.

help, i am just stuck and to ring dell once u have spent ur money is a nightmare. I know I should have checked pc before ordering FD and I could have ordered cable but???

thanks for all the great help I get on here. If it was not for this forum I would have packed in PC's ages ago.

hyn

sanap
ps the new pc does not come with a paper manual anymore, it is stored soemwhere in cyberspace.

PC Bilbo 23:00 13 Jan 2006

Modern boards should have a 34 pin FDD connector on Mobo.No 3 pin should be missing.

On the female connector on ribbon cable, 3rd hole (from red stripe on cable which denotes correct orientation to no 1 pin on mobo)is sometimetimes blanked off.

You are correct that the twisted end goes to floppy drive but make sure the it correctly orientated.Again match red stripe to no 1 pin Which should be marked (sometimes with an arrow)

SANAP 21:10 14 Jan 2006

many thanks for reply. I have got back to seller on ebay and he has said he will send an older type cable but when I look at the cable at the motherboard end it has a blob where there should be a hole for a pin. I dont know if that is the new design. I am working so cant check manual yet.

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?