floppy disk problems

steerstuffer 03:06 14 Feb 2006

i have a floppy disk that once upon a time opened. Now it won't open, it gives me the option to format. I don't want to because there is stuff i want on it. I switch floppy drives to make sure it wasn't the drive. It's the floppy. I've tried some removal software but it hasn't worked. Any other suggestions? I have windows and i noticed th efloppy says MAC. But like I said it used to open and then decided not to, Thanks

jack 08:25 14 Feb 2006

You have not mentioned the system you are using it on.
There can be a problem if the system in use has been changed.

If you can try to read the disk on another PC with a different system - XP/2000/98 - which is different to the one in use now.

Graham ® 09:22 14 Feb 2006

Right click on the drive and select Properties.

stylehurst 10:27 14 Feb 2006

If none of the above works download a program called FLOPSHOW (freeby)and try that, I have used it many times on problem floppies.

Diemmess 10:30 14 Feb 2006

Another possibility (unpleasant)is that the disk itself has gone wrong.
They do this now and then, though it varies with the manufacturer.
A small surface defect and vital data becomes corrupt.
Still worth trying on another computer or possibly finding some software which might recover part of the disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:13 14 Feb 2006

Drive Rescue click here
Floppy recovery click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 16 Feb 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i tried drive rescur and it found the files i needed but when i go to save as an error #23 comes up and I can't find any info about the error number. When it does save a file a file conversion wondow comes up. no matter what i pick its not readable. Any suggestions? Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not use the Yellow envelope to reply post your reply here so everyone can read and offer help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure how to overcome that particulr problem with drive rescue. Have your tried Floppy recovery?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?