Floppy disk info in Win.95 not available in XP

BigTe 17:09 29 Nov 2004

My old computer (no internet connection) using Win.95 has now been upgraded to a Mesh 250Gb using Win.XP (with internet connection.
All my info was stored on floppy disks which now cannot be accessed by Win.XP The floppy disk contents and icons appeat on the Win.XP screen but Adobe Reader error message reads'Could not open this file because the file has been corrupted etc'
Win.Xp Transfer Wizard doesnot work because it only works with Win.98 and upwards. Likewise a home network system does not work because the Win.95 computer is not connected to the internet.
Now I have 2 computers and lots of floppies which I cannot transfer to the new computer.
Any advice as to how I can retrieve this info from the floppies in 95 to the new computer would be appreciated.

Diodorus Siculus 17:12 29 Nov 2004

The easiest way would be to stick a CD writer into the win95 machine and burn everything onto a CD; then copy onto XP.

Having said that, it is not very easy if you are not sure about installing hardware.

feb 17:14 29 Nov 2004

Hi BigTe

Can you still read the disc's on the old PC

BigTe 18:42 01 Dec 2004

Unfortunately, in the old computer, the floppy and CD reader is on the same tape drive which means that they cannot be operated at the same time.

Thanks for your interest.
BigTe

Diodorus Siculus 21:26 01 Dec 2004

Well, copy from Floppy to a folder on the hard drive; then burn this folder to CD.

feb 11:21 02 Dec 2004

When xp refuses to read a known good disc which has been saved using another OS use that OS to open it, and save it on the pc, format another disc with xp and save the files to the new disc, all should be ok now. Apparently xp can have a problem reading some older discs which haven't been formatted using xp.

Tog_ 11:52 02 Dec 2004

I have this problem all the time with my daughter's 98SE machine floppies not being read by the school's XP machine.

BigTe 20:49 04 Dec 2004

feb & Tog, Formatted a new floppy disk in XP then transferred the infor from my old hard disk to the floppy - result - the XP would still not recognise it.
The only thing that might work is, as Diodorus Siculus suggests, to install a CD writer into the old computer anbd then burn the infor from the old hard drive to a CD.

Many thanks
Big Te

anchor 15:05 05 Dec 2004

Just tried reading some old floppies formatted and made with Win-ME. I am using a PC with Win-XP Pro, & NTFS file system.

No problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone