Floppy Disc Drive

I,Me and Myself 22:06 24 Aug 2006

When switching on our PC the floppy disc drive makes a sort of quiet drilling noise for a few seconds. Also, earlier today, while my daughter was on the PC, the floppy drive started making a similar type of sound but noisier and for a longer time.

Is this some kind of problem? What can I do to stop it?

VoG II 22:09 24 Aug 2006

This may be your anti-virus checking the drive.

gudgulf 22:12 24 Aug 2006

Do you use Norton by any chance?

I,Me and Myself 22:13 24 Aug 2006

No, we use Avast.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:42 24 Aug 2006

Avast - right click icon in system tray - program settings -common -untick check disks in floppy drive when logging off.

I,Me and Myself 22:49 24 Aug 2006

It was already unchecked.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:54 24 Aug 2006

When switching on our PC the floppy disc drive makes a sort of quiet drilling noise for a few seconds

will be set as first boot device and looks for a bootable disc, quite normal.

arlier today the floppy drive started making a similar type of sound but noisier and for a longer time.

If you click 3 1/2 drive in My computer or do a search drive will run Avast will also try and scan drive if screen saver scan settings are on. Again quite normal.

Giggle n' Bits 23:03 24 Aug 2006

so when starting the pc, the first drive to seek is the the floppy Disk drive itself then maybe the CD then HDD. better if possible to boot the machine from HDD as first then the boot time increases.

But if you select the wrong HDD and not the primary master it wont boot at all. So I would just in the BIOS Boot option disable the actual FDD from being Booted from leave CDROM ideally as earlier said HDD as 1st in the list may say HDD, HDD 0 Or HDD 1 or possibly the name of the actual drive in a long number format which is usally the model number.

gudgulf 23:07 24 Aug 2006

There is possibly an option in the BIOS that could help.....something like "Boot up Floppy Seek" which should be set to Disabled.

It stops the pc looking for the floppy drive at boot up.

I had the same problem and I'm fairly sure It was changing the BIOS setting that cured it for me,but it's a long while ago and my memory is failing me.......It certainly was not the AV program.I mentioned Norton because it is a regular problem on shutdown.It tries to scan a floppy disc that isn't there!

As for when your daughter was using the pc..check what she was doing at the time....if you run something like an antispyware scanner such as AdAware, and have the floppy drive selected as a scan option it can cause the drive to run as the program looks for a disc in it.

woodchip 23:34 24 Aug 2006

Turn Floppy seek of in BIOS

I,Me and Myself 22:06 25 Aug 2006

Bios?? Where's that??

What I'm really saying is, is what is happening acceptable?

If it is then I'd rather leave it as it is. Otherwise someone is really going to have to explain in really simple terms. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?