Floppy disc

a.palmerjr. 05:02 25 May 2010

I have a 3 1/2" floppy disc that I have been using for quite a while, which I wrote on my computer. Now I can't open it. I tried different discs and they work just fine but when I try to open this particular one the drive runs for awhile then I get this message that says it can't open the file under these parameters. This isn't music or videos or anything, just records I keep on maintenance of vehicles I own, but I hate to lose it.

rawprawn 08:26 25 May 2010

Because you have a Floppy Disk I am assuming that you are running XP.
Try running chkdsk
click here

rawprawn 08:31 25 May 2010

Or maybe try a recovery tool for floppies
click here

PS. when running chkdsk don't forget to use the floppy volume letter.

Sea Urchin 10:37 25 May 2010

On the underside of the disk make sure that the small switch has not been turned off - as seen on the top right hand corner of this image:

click here

a.palmerjr. 13:32 25 May 2010

I checked the switch, it was ok, then I ran the checkdisc, it said the disc had no errors. I decided the info on the disc wasn't worth the trouble so after trying a few other things I just started another list, remembering as much of the info as I could. Thanks to all!

ronalddonald 00:21 26 May 2010

can try another floppy in the drive to c if that one is working just to see it isn't he drive at fault.

In future i would use a pen drive.

a.palmerjr. 02:29 26 May 2010

I've tried other floppys in the drive..they work just fine. I tried checking the disc, it said it was fine, also. It had something to do with what program to use to open the folder. I don't know what would have changed on the disc to require something different to open it. I even tried the system restore to take it back to an earlier date and that wouldn't open it either. Apparently, when I used the disc last I must have inadvertently pushed the wrong key or something making it where I couldn't open it again. I've since formatted the disc and tried to re-do it from memory.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache