Floppy ,CD and CDRW drive problems

Lasse 15:47 30 Oct 2003

It started last weekend. I discovered that my floppy CD and CDRW drives would not read any media. The floppy and the CD gave a message that I should insert a disc. The CDRW folder opened but it was empty. I traced it back to AVG antivirus program. I uninstalled the program and everything was fine. I installed a demo version of Norton anti virus great no problems everything working. I was ready to buy Norton Firewall as well so I downloaded it to try it before I bought it, and installed it. BUT my drives will not work but this time I get a message that they are not valid and the CDRW does the same as before. I unistalled the Firewall and Anti virus reinstalled the antivirus GREAT they all work again. Ihave also tried Norton Internet Security exactly the same. I have only Norton antivirus installed now using XP firewall and it works perfectly. I run Windows XP Proffessional. Has anybody any ideas a virus maybe although I have done a system scan several times now and found nothing. I have also tried deleting the drives from Device Manager but that does not wory either. HELP.

A_World_Maker 16:02 30 Oct 2003

Did you try restoring from a 'restore' point, when everything was working fine?

A_World_Maker 16:04 30 Oct 2003

It possibly sounds like a driver corruption issue that maybe seen as a virus programme that the Antivirus programes are quarentining. Go back to the good restore point and try reinstalling your antivirus programme.

Lasse 16:34 30 Oct 2003

Its not the antivirus that is the problem, thats working fine, its when I install the firewall I get the problems.

Lasse 16:35 30 Oct 2003

Sorry forgot restored the computer several times the problem is with the firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017