floppy being installed..even though its not there!

boybrown 08:53 30 Aug 2006

Hi Folks,

I am running XP but have taken out my floppy drive as it had succumb to age (like my hairline) but XP still looks for it on closedown and comes up with error messages. I uninstalled it in device manager only to find that Xp automatically reinstalls the floopy drive thats supposedly there on bootup! I have checked and double checked and unless my floppy drive has suddenly got wireless capabilities and self healing properties then its not connected. Does anyone know how I can let the computer know not to check for it on closedown, or install it on bootup?

cheers

tom :o)

xania 08:58 30 Aug 2006

Don't know, but just a thought. Have you removed it from your boot-up sequence in the BIOS?

Graham. 09:07 30 Aug 2006

Disable it in Device Manager.

boybrown 09:12 30 Aug 2006

Hi there and cheers for the responses. Yes xania i've removed it from the boot sequene and double checked it as I know my brain easily misses things. Graham I have disabled it but then when I re-boot the computer automatically reloads it so i'm thinking there must be a setting which automatically reloads the device reagrdless. When I reboot I get the 'detect' new hardware bubble which then installs the 'mising' device i.e. my not connected floppy drive!

pj123 10:19 30 Aug 2006

Go in to the BIOS and on the first page (CMOS) where it shows your hard drives and CD/DVD drives etc. At the bottom are your Floppy drives. Highlight each of them and, using the Page UP or Page Down keys change them both to "Not Installed". Save the BIOS and exit.

They shouldn't show up anymore. If you decide later to add a new Floppy drive just go in to the BIOS again and re-install.

boybrown 10:26 30 Aug 2006

Thanks to all for the responses. PJ123 now sorted

have good days :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?