flight simulator x

jimmybond 16:57 25 Mar 2007

I have a reasonably high spec laptop, would like to run microsoft flight simulator x on it. Just wondering if it's up to the job really, as I know that really it's configured for hardware of the future - Not bothered about high settings or the best framerates, medium & playable will do...
T7200 core 2 duo
Geforce Go 7950GTX
2Gb RAM
100Gb 7200rpm

Technotiger 17:06 25 Mar 2007

Hi, the specs you show should be up to it. I have FSX(DeLuxe) on my PC, similar specs, just bigger hard-drive. I run it at almost top-settings.

jimmybond 19:50 25 Mar 2007

ok thanks for that, it's an expensive game and didn't want to end up at 5fps as soon as there's any scenery ;-)
Ah how times have changed since aviator on the BBC Micro B.

Technotiger 19:52 25 Mar 2007

OK - hope it works for you, it's a great flight sim.

frostyuk 22:42 25 Mar 2007

i dont have such a high spec system 128mb nVIDIA graphics card 1gb ram and 120 hard drive works fine with my system and i agree with Technotiger great flight sim major leap from the 2004

Totally-braindead 22:48 25 Mar 2007

Personally I would download the demo first to be 100% certain. Your laptop is well above the specs but I do have a couple of games that specifically mention on the packs that they will not work with the laptop equivalent graphics cards.
Heres the demo link click here
and have a look at the forum for the game and see if anyone has reported any problems with laptop graphics cards.

jimmybond 11:39 27 Mar 2007

thanks for that, I didn't realise there was a demo for it.
Anyway I gave it a try - seemed to work ok at ultra-high settings on 1920 screen res, although limited to 20fps.
Looks good anyway.....anything that isn't a first person shooter is a nice change ;-)

Technotiger 11:45 27 Mar 2007

20fps is still pretty good, you should not have any problems. Enjoy!

Totally-braindead 14:03 27 Mar 2007

Might be stating the obvious here but if you drop the resolution just a wee bit the FPS will increase dramatically, it all depends on whether you find the 20 fps acceptable.

At least you can be sure it will run. I felt I had to mention the thing about laptops as in the case of Splinter Cell Double Agent and a couple of other games I have it says "Supported cards and it mentions the GeForce 7900 series but then says laptop versions of these cards might work but are not supported".
The games good but I found it buggy on my machine on one level in particular.

Glad you got the demo going anyway.

ArrGee 14:50 27 Mar 2007

If you go onto YouTube, you'll find quite a few tutorials for MS Flight Simulator. There's a couple of good ILS tutorials that will come in handy.

click here

beauchampboiler 13:41 04 May 2007

Words of wisdom: If you have got fs2004 and it runs perfectly on a 'mediam spec' pc I wouldn't bother getting fsx. In my opinion fs2004 is still pretty good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017