Flickering screen

hawthorn59 14:31 11 Oct 2007

Hi.

Having just installed a new hard drive and XP Pro, I was notified of no less than 81 updates from microsoft, mainly XP security fixes. While installing these I tried to open another programme, clicking on Start menu. But after a few seconds the screen disappears.

probably not explaining this very well; OK, I click the mouse on Start but almost before I can go to the next stage the start menu disappears.

And as I write this the updates have finished installing and the problem has stopped. Is this normal?

This is my first time using XP Pro, I always had XP Home. Are there any differences I should watch for that might make my pc behave any differently??

h

The Brigadier 15:22 11 Oct 2007

Well you know what the cause is!
You may need more RAM in your pc as well.

crosstrainer 15:28 11 Oct 2007

To download and install the updates, following the re-start instructions as you go...Windows say's you can keep working, but it's not really a great idea. I have 4gb of 800mhz ram in this machine, and it still runs like glue if you try to do anything when the process is running.

hawthorn59 15:56 11 Oct 2007

I have 2gig...!!

hawthorn59 16:07 11 Oct 2007

OK fair enough. just I never noticed it on my old configuration, though i doubt if I ever had 81 updates. Is XP Pro slower, or harder on resources?

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?