Flatbed scanner for slides

Mikeonfreeserve 16:48 15 Feb 2003

The bulb on my Mustek 600p has failed. I've extacted it and it is a Canon CWB 30216K 000. Does anyone know where a replacement bulb can be had? If it is expensive,and you just know it will be,can anyone recommend a reasonably priced flatbed usb scanner with a decent lightbox attachment so I can scan my 35 mm slides? I don't take enough slides to really justify the additional outlay for a separate slide scanner. Many thanks muchachos. Oh,and can someone recommend a good optician for Ryan Giggs?

Pesala 17:26 15 Feb 2003
  Patr100 17:38 15 Feb 2003

I've got the Epson 1250 photo edition- the earlier version of the 1260 - the images are generally fine and it got some good reviews but frankly I find it agonisingly slow in warming up before a scanning session. Also the software supplied to too often unintuitive and cumbersome - for example I have to close the scanning apllication in order to review a group of scanned images via the so-called "smart panel" . Each time I open an application to import into or change the type of scan it takes what seem an eternity to warm up. The "cancel" button also fails to respond properly. A great pity as the actual scans produced especially with flat copies are OK.

Pesala 18:35 15 Feb 2003

I have a Epson Perfect 1250, not the photo option. I removed the smart panel as soon as I saw how useless it was.

I do my scanning from Irfan View or Corel Photopaint — Omnipage Pro very occasionally.

Quality is good, warm up time is a bit slow, about 25 seconds. I do all my scanning in manual mode. Quality is excellent.

Patr100 20:06 15 Feb 2003

Indeed, the Smart panel is virtually useless but my warm up time is much longer than 25 secs - more like over a minute or more. If I import via Twain into say, Photoshop I cannot access PS or edit a single image without closing the scan control screen.Then in order to scan subsequent images the scanner has to relaunch each time. You can't even verfiy scanned images using the Epson software unless you close down the scanner config screen. I also use manual mode most of the time. Given my experience of this I couldn't recommend it unless the ease of use has improved greatly. I suspect it wasn't fully XP compatible.

Patr100 20:08 15 Feb 2003

verfiy = verify

y_not 20:20 15 Feb 2003

Does anyone have the Perfection 1250 transparency adapter lying around (unwanted) as I am wanting one but don't fancy the Epson asking price of £45.82. (Cheapskate bought the version without the adapter and now regrets it)

If anyone has one please email me with the asking price

Many thanks

Tony

Patr100 21:01 15 Feb 2003

It won't work with the non photo version as it has to be plugged in and powered from the scanner itself and the your version won't have the necessary connection.

Mikeonfreeserve 21:17 15 Feb 2003

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll check out the Epson....but what about Ryan Giggs?!

Gandalph 21:26 15 Feb 2003

Boots have got a good two for one offer at the moment.

Pesala 22:12 15 Feb 2003

Why Not try this?

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone